Far Away From Here

Far Away From Here

“You will never win,” Dr. Phsyc sneered with relish as he looked down upon the fallen heroes. “You only lose. But this is the last time.”
His malicious laugh echoed throughout the silent city. Towers had fallen and debris clothed the ground as far as the eye could see. Dr. Phsyc was more than proud of his devastating work.
“It was a pleasure and I will admit I may get bored without you to stop me, but, business must continue and I simply cannot allow you to step in my way one more time.”
Dr. Phsyc hovered up to the towering, pristine skyscraper. He felt the sensation of victory at his fingertips. With his hands held out in front of him, he pulled the building down. His veins pulsed and his temples tensed as the strength of the city gave in. The satisfying sound of concrete crunching and glass shattering reached Phsyc’s ears. A smile slipped onto his lips as the building drew closer and closer to the defeated heroes. He could not suppress a wicked laugh and cackled, his voice finding its way to the ears of those below. They closed their eyes. They knew their fate.
The building continued falling until-
“Jack! Dinner is ready!” his mother called.
And with that, Jack reluctantly plummeted from his imagination. A sigh of disappointment slipped his lips as he dropped his arms limply to his sides. He looked to the sky, completely exhausted. He lifted his head, inhaling the subtle eucalyptus scent and looked to the sky. It was painted with a summer orange and darkened towards the east with velvet. These moments were possibly Jack’s favourite moments and instantaneously calmed him. No time in day was as perfect as dusk with such a beautifully decorated sky.
Dinner had come at an unfortunate time. Jack was so close to destroying his enemies. He knelt down to the jumping and panting dog, Mazie, whispering into her floppy ear.
“Don’t worry Mazie. Dr. Phsyc always wins.”
He ruffled her blonde coat and hugged her, resting her head in the crook of his neck. Mazie was the only thing allowed to accompany him when it came to being alone. Jack cherished moments by himself as he had time to contemplate and rid his body of all the harboured problems on his mind. He coughed and choked on the unsettled dust as the green John Deer header passed, harvesting the grain. He waved to Mr. Berth, as he completed another round of the paddock, drowning in warm yellow grain.
Jack jumped over the fence, passed the old shed, walked carefully over the short, delicate bridge and crossed the lawn before opening the door to the sun room which led to the laundry and into the kitchen. His supper awaited him.
He turned and faced the hopeful eyes of the beautiful, fat Labrador.
“Goodbye Mazie.”




FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!