The Great Australian Trip

Excellence Award in the 'Word Zone 2016' competition

“Are we there yet?” Macey said sleepily.
“No,” chorused the rest of the family.
It had only been 30 minutes into the trip and the kids excitement had already turned into boredom.
“Come on kids, where’s the enthusiasm? We’re going to the red centre of Australia!” Dad stated proudly. “How about we play a game? Let’s see, I Spy?”

Mum and George drowned out the sounds of I Spy by taking in the great, sparse Australian beauty.
It’s a big country! Mum thought to herself.
The camping adventure had been off to a rocky start but running out of fuel and a flat tyre was not going to stop the Bailey family. Most of them appreciated the long car trips because they were able to take in the magnificent scenery and enjoyed winding down the windows and feeling the rush of air against their faces.
“Isn’t it amazing how red the dirt is up here?” Mum said to no one in particular.
Red dirt! George thought in disgust, no matter how hard I try it always ends up in my shoes or even my sleeping bag!
“Look there’s an emu!” Macey cried. Macey had quite a list of animals so far including kangaroos and echidnas but her favourite was the cute, cuddly koalas munching eucalyptus leaves from gum trees.

Two days into the trip after hours of endless driving, they decided to set up camp in the middle of nowhere. After pushing and shoving the camper trailer was set up and they all sat down to relax. The fire was crackling, the snags were sizzling and the fresh country air was permeated with a hint of eucalyptus. In the distance, a group of kangaroos were seen happily grazing with their paws crossed while they munched as the sunset.
“Isn’t this a wonderful night?” Mum exclaimed.
“Wow, look at the Milky Way!” George said in awe, pointing towards the bright night sky. They fell asleep under the beautiful, clear night sky to the sound of their own laughter and the smell of toasted marshmallows.

“When are we going to see Uluru?” Macey asked impatiently for the third time in five minutes.
“Very soon!” Mum affirmed excitedly and low and behold in the distance the big red rock could be seen.
The kids eyes gleamed with excitement, they couldn’t wait to climb it. But, when they got to the front desk, the lady scowled at them and told them they were still deciding whether or not Uluru would be open for climbing today. The whole family were devastated. It had been a roller coaster ride to get there and now it might all have been for nothing! They took a seat on the bench with their heads hung down in agony.

“Dad, Mum look!” Macey exclaimed happily. She pointed to the sign above the desk saying “Uluru is officially open for climbing today!” They all gleamed with happiness, it was the sound of music to their ears.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!