Grey

Excellence Award in the 'Word Zone 2016' competition

I rested my cold face in the palms of my hands, covering my eyes. Life used to be simple. I shook my head side to side. Everything was 'black' or 'white'. That's a lie.
I used to believe one was black or white. No, not skin colour - rather, a heart.
A black heart is evil. A white heart is good. But, there are many shades of grey.
"Anyone who loves is not black," she once told me, her blue eyes stagnant like a still pond. "Love is purity. If love exists in your life, you're not black, but not necessarily white."
I guess I should know by now. Every lie, every sin, darkens purity. No matter what you do, you can't cleanse a heart back to white.
No one is white. No one is sinless. Light grey exists, never white.
I asked my friend back then, the philosophical girl, "What about black hearts? How does a heart become dark?”
Her lips curled upwards into a gentle smile as she answered, "If you can't love. If you don't care about anything living. If you're willing to kill for selfish desires.”
"But,” I interrupted, before she continued, paying no attention to my attempted objection. "If you don't feel love, you're black. Not emotionless. Without a sense of morality, a person, who finds joy in murder, torture, that sort of evil, is dark hearted.”
No matter how deeply I think, I can't remember her name. I don't remember her face, or anything about her besides those words. My memory has been the same since I came here. I’ve lost a sense of time. Years may have passed since I last walked in fresh air, being able to see the sky. Now, shadows imprison me.
"And even this isn't black," I whisper in the darkness. “That's true. Somewhere, some goodness lurks within this cage. Maybe only a speck… but it exists.” I return to my thoughts. If I do escape, I could regain all that I've forgotten. All those memories I left behind, even my name.
The door taunts me because the dark handle is beyond my grasp. No matter how hard I try, the exit is impossible to reach --- a never-ending path.
Later, the cold steel slid ajar, revealing a white light masking the dark aura of a person.
A hand stretches out through the light, waiting.
"Hey."
I don't answer.
"Are you coming?"
"C-Coming?" I stammer. "Where?"
"You'll find out."
Dark grey. There’s not much choice but to trust this nearly black heart. Perhaps, possibly they'll turn out like her. The black heart with a ray of light. An innocent corrupted by shadow. I trusted her at first. Her faith gained when she lost hope. I remember that.
I grasp for the extended hand. The light met my skin. No, not light. A very light grey.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!