Unity In Diversity

2nd in the 'Word Zone 2016' competition

Each day I hear about countries and people fighting each other claiming that they are better or bigger. I feel so sad that thousands of innocents die in these conflicts. I wonder if such troubles occur beyond Earth. What if the planets themselves argued as to who is the best, or the most powerful, or the most beautiful?
Well, it so transpired that a long while back that the planets did argue. And they took their bickering to the Galactic Council headed by wise old Father Time. Each planet wanted to stake its claim as the best.
Father Time asked each planet to state why they thought they were better or unique. They even argued about who speaks first when Father Time said, “My children, please don't fight like this. Let's use the mnemonic device 'My very educated mother just served us noodles'. And she does make you the best noodles in the universe!"
Mercury proudly stated, "I provide the best view of the Sun, being the closest." Venus immediately scoffed "I am the hottest. Most come to me for warmth in cold winters."
Our very own Earth politely stated, "I am the only planet which supports life and has blue water all around." Promptly Mars bellowed, "So what? I also supported life at one point and was as blue. But today, none can beat my red hue."
Jupiter claimed that he was the largest in the solar system and his red spot was even bigger than Mars. Saturn quipped, "In beauty, none can parallel my rings."
Uranus objected, "That may be so, dear Saturn. I too have rings and moons, but to beat the hot summers none is colder than me." Lastly, Neptune laid claim to being the most mysterious of them all holding secrets waiting to be discovered for those who dared.
Having heard each claim, Father Time quietly chuckled to himself. "Have you heard your brother or sister? I made each one of you unique in your own way. Each one of you is special, my children. And together, you are able to stand united as a solar system. Minus any, you will crumble and drift."
I wonder - is it that simple? That diversity creates the unity. Well, I trust the wisdom of Father Time, and I hope that our leaders too can take a leaf from his book.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!