The Refugee

Finalist in the 'Word Zone 2016' competition

The little baby screamed as the rickety boat left the harbour. Gunfire filled the air as the old wooden boat crashed against the stampeding waves. Fear and darkness took over the air. The baby screamed again. Whooosh, the boat drifted roughly through the sea. Night time slipped away and it became morning.
The boat was damaged and beyond repair, but that did not stop them. The winds blew the sails wildly as the boat propelled itself towards the Indian Ocean, escaping the dangers of Pakistan. The days travelled slowly, the passengers became sick and some died, but the baby, knowing no other life, struggled on. They had been on the boat for several weeks and were in desperate need of food and water. Many people did not survive, but the baby did.
Finally, in the distance, they saw another boat and everyone cheered, although they would regret it. The boat came closer. A big, ugly man jumped onto the old boat putting everyone at gunpoint. “Collect the valuables, boys!” he yelled. More pirates jumped onto the boat. The weak and desperate boat people could only look on as their precious belongings were taken.
Suddenly the wind began to blow, the clouds turned black, and they could see the lightning storm in the distance. Then the man yelled again, “Retreat!” All the pirates jumped to their boat and disappeared in the crashing waves. The wind blew harder and in the distance, the boat people saw flashes of light through the fog. Cries filled the air, “Quickly raise the sails, GO, GO, GO!” People ran around the deck panicking. The baby cried in fear as the storm attacked. The boat rocked, there was more yelling, and then everything went black.
The baby was woken in the morning by the seagulls squawking. The boat’s mast was broken, the sails torn, but the boat was still moving through the water. Those who had survived the storm woke exhausted, and climbed up on the deck to find that they were being towed by another boat. Was it more pirates?
The boat people were picked up by the Australian Border Patrol. They were shocked they had actually reached that far. They were relieved to be rescued. They were frightened not knowing what would happen next. Then their boat was taken to Christmas Island.
Years passed. The baby grew into a young child, and although he was not healthy or educated, the child struggled on. At last, he could live in a safer and more peaceful country called Australia.
This is the life of a refugee.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!