A New Life

Excellence Award in the 'Word Zone 2016' competition

Standing on the streets, in the middle of Melbourne, a little boy, seven years of age is waiting for food and a steady home. Albert is originally from Afghanistan. He had fled his country after the murder of his parents. His sister, Mary, had died on the way to Australia. And now he had to carry on by himself.
Albert always smiled at the passing people. Even though he had little English, he still had the courage and never gave up hoping. But one night, as he closed his eyes, his mind filled with the flashbacks of when he found his sister, lying there, lifeless and unmovable. He screamed and cried and prayed for his parents. Unfortunately they were gone, too soon, and nothing could bring them back.
The following morning, a lady walked past. She had seen him many times before. She knew that he was alone and miserable and had no place to call home. She wanted to whisper the words to him that he was going to be okay and she would adopt him, because she too was weak and lonely. She couldn’t raise the boy, could she? She had thought about wanting children many times before, it was not to be. She so wanted to adopt Albert. What if she didn’t adopt the boy and he died? So, just as if Albert’s prayers had been answered, the lady invited him home with her.
That night, as he lay in bed, he dreamed of spending more than just one night with this woman. Growing up. School. Travelling in Australia. His imaginings took him to the land of dreams and a peaceful smile stayed with him all night.
In the morning, the lady greeted Albert and handed him a bowl of cereal. “Wouldn’t it be nice if you could go to school?”
Albert grinned. Maybe everything would be ok after all.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!