Waiting

I am sitting in the bay window staring through the glass of Grandma Winstler’s dressing room window. It stunk of broccoli in Grandma’s house, it always has, she loves broccoli that’s all we have for dinner broccoli pizza, broccoli soup, I‘m sitting here waiting for them to come back, Mum and Dad have been gone for ages, they left 7 weeks ago, I don’t even know where they are.

“STELLA!” Called Aunt Ada (Ada is short with a long nose and has wrinkles all over her face A.K.A the mean one), “Pass me my specks would you darl.” Yes Aunt Ada, anything else whilst I’m up? I replied politely. “Hmm let me think, ah yes that’s it, just an icy cool glass of water, thanks.” Replied Aunt Ada.

I hate Aunt Ada, how she ordered me around all day long, Grandma would tell Ada to give me a break but Ada would always reply with “her hands are younger than mine, a bit of work while she’s here won’t hurt her, she needs to earn her keep.” Ada told Grandma in that squeaky high pitch voice! Grandma would always just leave it at that and let Ada win.

“Stella! Honey, I need you to come and put the cucumber over my eyes for this face mask thingy, they keep falling off.” Yelled Aunt Gretel (Gretel is a tall, fat blob and doesn’t do much at all except get manicures and pedicures in the parlour. Her skin is soft and luscious unlike Aunt Ada A.K.A the generally loving one) “Quick honey, cucumbers don’t stay fresh forever”. I trudged over to the entrance of the Parlour, “Here I am Aunt, they are still fresh enough” I said.

“Stella! There is someone at the door who wants to say hi, just pop down for a little minute, please Stella.” Called Grandma from downstairs.

I came down the stairs as fast as I could hoping that it was Mum and Dad, that would be my dream come true…

“MUM! DAD! I can’t believe it’s really you I thought you would never come home!” I gave Grandma, Mum and Dad a massive hug each, I ran up and down the stairs about 5 times until I got over that they were really home in Sydney.

“Where have you been?” I asked eagerly.

“We will tell you all about it when we get home, now go and pack your things” answered Dad.

I raced into Grandma’s room to pack up my stuff, that smelt of broccoli into my bag to take back home. I quickly said goodbye to Aunt Ada and Aunt Gretel, very happy that I didn’t have to get anymore glasses of water or put cucumbers on eyes.

Grandma, Mum and Dad were waiting for me at the door. I said goodbye to Grandma and thanked her for the past 7 weeks, and made a promise that we would come back to see her soon.

I was so happy I couldn’t stop smiling.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!