A Brief Encounter In Time

'Are you sure it's safe?' Jacinta asked with uncertainty.
'Positive!' Her best friend, Lulu, laughed. Lulu, aged eighteen, was an aspiring scientist, an over achiever and was currently trying to win her way into a prestigious science camp. 'When you get there, take pictures and don't change anything. Make sure you press the red button on the camera and I'll bring you back. Ready?'
'No.'
'I don't care. See you in twenty-five years.' With that, Jacinta sat on the chair, and without a second glance she was whisked away to an American high school in 1991 at 3:17pm. To fit in, she was wearing a pair of denim overalls and was given a vintage camera to take pictures of her adventure.
After walking through the school and taking pictures, she was about to return home when she finds herself in a hallway. 'Sorry! Sorry, sir! SORRY! Excuse me!' a boy says as he stumbles through the crowded hallway, onto Jacinta, knocking the camera out of her hands. 'Oh my- I'm so sorry! I'm Timothy Last, are you new?'
'No!' Jacinta panics. 'Actually- yes. Yes I am new. Sorry, I'm Jacinta Willis.'
'Pleasure to meet you, Jacinta,' Timothy says, shaking her hand. 'If it's not too much trouble, could you help me take these papers to the journalism room?'
'I'm sorry, Timothy. It's nice to meet you and all, but I've got to go,' she apologises in a rush.
'Oh,' he sighs. He then hands her a piece of paper. 'Here's my number if you want to call me later. Bye Jacinta!'
Jacinta picks up her camera and waves goodbye, then turns the corner and presses the red button, but nothing happens. ‘Dammit! It must’ve broken in the kerfuffle in the hallway.'
She runs down the now empty hall and follows the trail of papers left behind.
Timothy heard the noise of footsteps coming down the hallway and decided to check it out. 'Jacinta! What are you still doing here?'
'Nothing...it's just that my friend asked me to do something stupid, and the stupidest part is that I agreed,’ she said, wiping away a tear.
‘What happened? I’m sure I can help!’ Timothy insisted. Since there was nothing better she could do, Jacinta explained what had happened and how there was nothing he could do unless he was any good at fixing electrical equipment. ‘The metal works teacher is still here, maybe he can help?’
Seeing there was nothing else they could do, the two kids ran to the metal works teacher asked if could fix the camera. ‘I’ve done harder. Give me fifteen minutes,’ the older man dismissed. Sure enough, fifteen minutes passed and the camera was fixed.
Jacinta hugged the man and thanked him many times. She turned to Timothy next. ‘I only knew you for a short time, but you’ve been important,’ Jacinta whispered as she hugged him. ‘When I get home, I’ll look you up. I’ll never forget you, Timothy Last.’
‘I won’t forget you either, Jacinta Willis,’ he whispered back. ‘I look forward to the time we meet again.’
Jacinta kissed Timothy gently, and then pressed the red button on the camera. ‘Goodbye, for now.’
‘Goodbye, for now.’

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!