War Child

“It’s not fair!” I cry as my mother sits on my bed trying to explain it is not the end of the world. I cry, my father was everything to me. My dad had left for world war two. I had heard of the war before, and I learnt that it was the most frightening thing on earth! [According to me]. This is the saddest time in my whole life! Mum tried to tell me he might come back but I could see in her eyes that she thought the same as me. I had no hope and neither did mum.
I could not sleep that night. I creaked down stairs into the corridor. I knew dad must have sent a letter. Mum is probably hiding it so I would not get upset. There was three letters stacked on top of each other. One from Aunt Anne, saying Uncle George had gone to the war as well, the second one was from gran Carla who said grandpa also went, and the last one was from father saying not to worry.
I put all the letters back into their envelopes. I was silently walking up the stairs but at the top I met my sister Lexi. She asked me if I had read the letters and then we went into my sister’s bedroom. I was in the middle of the second letter my little brother Reuben came in my sisters room crying. “I miss daddy!” he cried. I held my arm around him for comfort. We stayed up all night talking about happy times with dad.
We stayed up all night laughing, crying, singing songs dad had taught us and telling jokes that dad used to tell us. I went to my room and got a family photo we took when Reuben was two. We took it at queen’s park, Australia. We all looked at it crying.
The next day I had a plan. I may be a normal nine year old child but I am still smart. I was going to run away. I was going to find dad. I know the boat is leaving today. 1:00 today so I had five hours to get to the bay. I packed some food to go, a camera and a blanket. I put all these things into a light backpack.
I left a note on the old rocking chair and I left for the bay. I had to get in the ship before anyone else so I set off secretly. I will miss my mummy but I have to be brave, I have to know, I was doing it for my family, my mum especially. It will be dangerous and scary.
As I walk down the road I felt scared and sweaty.
I started running, it is nearly time for the soldiers to board the ship. I sneak onto the ship and climb into a chest. I hear someone lock the chest I am in. how am I going to get out?

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!