When You're Not At Home

Excellence Award in the 'Word Zone 2016' competition

Creak... the ancient, oak door slid open. Pitter-patter.... Small, secretive feet sneak quietly across the grey, tiled floor. Psssst!.... Plastic, pink, painted mouths whisper.... “They’re gone!!”
Suddenly an outburst of floral dresses, sailors' hats and brown fur, hurry through the door.
What do your toys do when you’re out?
My name is Lila and I am 10 years old, but the story I’m going to tell you takes place when was 8. I’m nothing to look at really, but my room, that is a different story. I have always been really fascinated with dolls, teddy bears and stuffed animals. My room is a place to behold. My bed is to one side of the room, choked with all my stuffed animals.
To the other side of the room is my cupboard full of clothes. On top of it are all my precious, Chinese dolls. My toy box takes the best spot in the room. The fire engine red box is next to my bed where the sun from the window shines through. In it is my most precious treasure, my war-torn, ragged, brown teddy bear, Bow. But this story isn’t about me or even my room. Its about magic and toys.
Two years ago is when this story begins. I was going to the beach. I couldn’t take my toys in case they got wet. I shut the door and left. That’s when the room came alive!
‘She’s gone’
‘Are you sure?’
‘Yup! Now where’s my bow?’
A China doll leapt from the chest of drawers onto the floor. She casually walked over to my bed and peered under. She pulled out a dusty, patterned bow from in the heavy dust that had formed into dust bunnies.
‘Aha!’
A stuffed tiger shook his head disapprovingly. ‘She’s gone folks!’ he yelled. Suddenly a furry, tsunami rushed from everywhere! China dolls stretching their backs. Stuffed elephants chatting good-naturedly.
‘Crrreak!’
The room fell silent, so quiet you could hear a pin drop. ‘Good morning toys!’ A cheer went up and went down again when the furry hand summoned silence. ‘While Lila is gone we need to be sensible and practical....POOL PARTY!!! ' The cheer came up again. ‘Seal, please get the drinks’ While the rest of the toys partied to the sandpit, a stuffed seal went to get the drinks.
‘Wait!’ a China doll called. 'Is that...footsteps?’ Everyone froze. Indeed there were footsteps coming up the stairs. ‘Hiding places!’ the furry Teddy yelled. The tsunami fled into the hiding spots. ‘Hello! I’m here!’ As I walked through the door, everything was in its place. I picked up my Sunglasses and walked out but I was stopped by a little seal carrying a plate of drinks. He froze, his blue eyes full of fear. I froze too, my eyes stuck on the little creature. He looked so frightened, I smiled. ‘I'll keep your secret little guy!’ And I have to this very day. Except for now... but don’t tell him.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!