Falling

Kayleigh yawned and stretched her arms above her head.

"Time to get up!" Giggled a sweet voice from beside her.

Kayleigh rolled over and grinned at the girl. "We have school today."

"It will be fun, don't worry!" Her friend replied. "You'll do great."

******

Brushing her hair, Kayleigh studied herself in the mirror.

"Your eyes are too close together." Said a voice from over her shoulder, causing her to jump violently with shock. She hadn't realised her friend was there. "Your freckles are ugly and your nose has a bump on it."

Kayleigh turned and frowned at her friend. "Why are you being so mean? I thought you said it was going to be a good day."

Her friend shrugged. "I changed my mind."

******

Kayleigh was deciding what to wear for the day when she felt a light tap on her shoulder. "Wear the green one. It suits your hair the best."

******

Her mind was focussed and her eyes were fixed on her Maths test when a note was tossed onto her desk. 'Those other clothes make you look fat. Why would you ever think that colour would suit you? You look disgusting.' Kayleigh scrunched up the note and breathed through her mouth, trying not to cry.

"If you start bawling in class, everyone will think you're a whiny little cry-baby." Her friend said helpfully from behind her. "You don't want that, do you?"

******

That night, Kayleigh was doing her English homework while her friend lounged on her bed. "So tell me why you're doing that, again? It's not like it will make you any smarter. You'll always be dumb as a vegetable."

Kayleigh exploded. "Why would you say that?" She cried. "One moment you're my friend, the next you're not, and I can't take it anymore!" She sank down onto the floor. "I can't take it.

******

Kayleigh fell asleep alone in her bedroom, and woke up alone the next day.

"Ready for another day of school?" A sweet voice giggled.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!