Billy The Blue Meerkat

Excellence Award in the 'Spread The Word 2017' competition

Once born in a cold burrow was Billy a blue meerkat. He was nice but sad. His family wasn't blue the other meerkats were not blue either he was the only blue meerkat so he was very different for that he was teased and left out if only he wasn't blue he thought. He returned to his burrow that night to his parents smiling "Billy!" Whispered Billy's parents his head perked up as they continued "Billy you are finally old enough to leave the burrow on your own." In excitement Billy squeezed his parents "thank you he whispered to his mother then father and ran to his bedroom to sleep. The next morning he woke up to the birds chirping on the trees with the rustling leaves it was a perfect day to explore so without hesitating he wriggled out of the burrow to go into the forest. The sun shone onto him through the beautiful green leaves he smiled and then he saw something gold in the distance it looked familiar he looked closer then with shock he realised it was a meerkat. "Impossible mother and father said he was the only meerkat who went exploring in his burrow. could it be that this meerkat was from a different burrow? he stood still and silent what was he to do turn and run or go close and talk to her? slowly he took a step closer to her. SNAP he stood on a stick the soundof a stick snapping echoed through the whole forest. Billy froze as the meerkat spun around to see billy. Billy noticed she was a girl. he thought she was beautiful he saw a flower behind her ears which only made her more beautiful. "Are you blue" she asked. Billy took a deep gulp "y-yes" he replied hiding his face. She smiled "oh my gosh I love blue." Billy searched her voice for a teasing tone but there was none. "You do?" he asked coming closer "well of coarse who doesn't?" she asked the grin on her face growing. "Everyone in my burrow but trust me they are not as pretty as you" he replied he noticed the girl meerkat hiding her face as she blushed "oh I never got your name I'm Charley" she said as her head shot up. "I'm Billy" replied Billy. They chatted on and on and on until Billy heard a familiar voice calling his name. "I gotta go my mum is calling me but I will see you again soon" he promised as he headed home.The next day Billy again went to the forest to find Charlie sitting on the rock that he met her at the day before. Each day the met each other at the same place and then one day she said that she and Billy were going to have a meerkat baby together Billy gasped and then again his mother called him home he waved to Charlie then set off home. Once it was time for the baby Charlie smiled then showed Billy "isn't she cute?" she whispered Billy smiled this meerkat baby was special why because she was blue.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!