The Conqueror

Finalist in the 'Spread The Word 2017' competition

The room was dark, as the only source of light was the quickly dimming sunlight shining faintly through the old, dusty window. The only piece of furniture in the room was an old, grey armchair, positioned directly next to the window. An old figure was sitting in the armchair. If you saw it you would have thought it was dead, however the raspy, rhythmic sound of its breathing gave it away. If you looked closer you would have seen that the old figure was a man, with a large murky-green SNAKE coiled up on his lap.
A figure appeared in the doorway. The old man opened one of his eyes and rasped in his croaky voice, “Ah Mimi, have you found it?”
“Yes.” The figure stepped out of the doorway so he could see her face. “Colt, I have done it,” a young woman, apparently called Mimi, approached the old man in the chair and placed a small velvet bag in the palm of his hand. “I had to kill three men to get it, but it was worth it!”
The man, Colt, opened the bag and found a small, silver key. This key was in fact, the key to open the muzzle of the last Hylincha snake in the world, the snake that lay coiled up on his lap at that very moment.
Colt pulled the little silver key out of the bag with his shaky hands, and slotted in into the small opening on the snake’s golden muzzle. The snake raised its head and Mimi watched with intensity. Colt turned the key, slowly but surely and the snake’s muzzle clicked off. Mimi gasped and Colt smiled as the gleaming muzzle dropped to the floor and shattered.
“Thank you Mimi, you have done well.”
“Yes, well I…” however Colt hadn’t finished yet, “But I am afraid we can’t have anyone spilling our little secret, can we my darling” he said, stroking the snakes head affectionately.
“Please NO!” she gasped. A thin smile appeared on Colts’ face and his eyes narrowed, “KILL HER!” The snake lunged forward and clasped its massive jaw around Mimi’s neck. She dropped to the floor, dead. Colt’s smile broadened as he croaked, “Now let’s go my darling, after all, we have a world to conquer.” The snake slithered up onto Colt’s arm as he arose, leaving the room. His silhouette was dark against the lowering sun as he walked off into the distance, laughing hysterically.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!