The Spaceman's Saviour

Excellence Award in the 'Spread The Word 2017' competition

Depression is to humans as dark matter is to space. It is an endless void, ever expanding, a darkness so complete that it consumes your mind and soul without reservation.
There is nothing but the consistent black to cradle your broken body, sapping strength and feeding fears. Yet without darkness, we cannot have light. Without depression, we can not know what it is to be happy, or grateful, or to love and be loved in return.
I am a spaceman. Many years ago I lost my way. I had spiralled into a dark void with nobody to save me. I was disconnected from the rest of the world, and had no way of finding my way back alone. So I floated in the deepest, darkest space and waited; waited for hope, waited for a change from the mind numbing darkness, waited for someone or something that could save me from the pain and loss. There was only darkness.
Time passed slowly. I was running out of oxygen, feeling my lungs ache and burn and my heart beat in symphony to the pain. I was so alone, so empty. Nobody can hear you scream in space.
And that was when I saw the first star.
It was distant, a faint flickering. Barely a glimmer of hope. But I looked to that light and it guided me through the darkness that consumed my body and mind. More stars appeared. Great constellations I mapped out for hours, never-ending galaxies that constantly revolved, shooting stars that I could dive into and swim among. They were forever mine, only mine, to gaze into and attempt to decipher.
I found a home amongst the stars. A place to breathe and know I was safe, filled with light that kept the darkness at bay.
Sometimes, I can feel the darkness creeping up on me, crawling over my skin, caressing my hair, and you will hold me still while I stare into the effervescent galaxies perpetrating your irises. I am a spaceman, and you are the sun, the stars, the moon, the planets aligned and every ray of light to give me vision yet simultaneously blind me with sheer beauty. You have chased away the darkness with your brilliant light, and I know that it shines from your soul.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!