Venom

I heard the old engine of my parents car zoom down the dusty track. Sliding off my bed, I chucked on my boots and walked down to the stables. Grace was waiting patiently behind the wooden swing door. “Mornin’ Grace.” I greeted her with a smile whacked across my freckled face. She stamped her foot, letting out a soft neigh. I reached my small hand out and rested it against her bold chest. She was like my best friend. We had been together for what feels like forever. I equipped her back with some gear and set off on our morning stroll. I felt the warm wind run through my messy auburn hair. The sun was just rising above the Australian outback.

Grace’s heart was beating fast, galloping through the bush. She stopped with a halt. “What’s wrong?” I asked, feeling her silky white mane. I hopped off of her old leather saddle. I looked into her majestic hazel eyes. Then… darkness.

I woke with a fright. Everything was blurry. Feeling nauseous, I attempted to stand. I collapsed back down to the ground. I winced as I felt a harsh pain in my leg. I noticed blood dripping down it, like rain falling from the sky. It looked a lot like a snake bite. My head spun round, time after time. I felt the venom rushing through my veins. Looking into the distance, Grace was racing towards home. I reached my hand out trying to grasp onto her, calling Graces name but my mouth too dry.

My body felt achy, my leg was throbbing. I felt my body shutting down on me. I tried my best to stay awake. It felt as if the whole world was caving in on me but all I could do was wait.

It seemed as if hours had passed. I felt the rumbling of the dusty rock ground travelling towards me. Grace? No. It was a car. A very familiar car. My parents! The car door rushed open, as I lay on the ground, hopelessly. I couldn’t have been any happier. My parents ran towards me. “Grace…” my mother continued out of breath, “That horse of yours is a lifesaver!” I looked at her confused. “Nevermind, let’s get you home quickly.” she carried me into the car.

When we arrived home, Grace was trotting around the front of the old country styled house, nervously as if she was worried about me. My mother and father fixed my leg up, getting rid of all the poisonous gunk. It took me a few days to recover but eventually, I had realised something. Grace didn’t leave me there to die. That horse saved my life.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!