Stolen Cat

Excellence Award in the 'Spread The Word 2017' competition

“Stop that, Fiddles,” giggled Bella as her cat rolled over the flowerbed. The morning sunshine shone protectively over the two. Bella and Fiddles were practising for the Extraordinary Cats competition that would happen in a week. Bella was so busy laughing hence she didn’t notice the twins Anna and Ameri walk by. “I wouldn’t be laughing if I were you,” said Anna coldly. “Cause we’re going to beat you in the show,” finished Ameri proudly. Bella fumed and tried to utter a word but nothing came out. “Cat got your tongue?” asked Anna smiling. “Let’s go sis, she’s completely useless,” said Ameri meanly and with that, the twins walked away, heads high. Deep down in her heart, Bella knew they were just jealous of Fiddles but she couldn’t help being furious. I hate them, Bella murmured to herself and walked inside.
That night, Bella found it hard to sleep. Even with Fiddles meowing sympathetically, the twins’ words kept replaying in her mind. “Maybe I am useless,” Bella whispered feeling defeated.
The next morning, Bella woke up in confusion. “Fiddles, where are you?” asked Bella with worry. But Fiddles was nowhere to be seen. Bella felt a pang of sadness, she felt herself go wobbly and weak. Tears sprang into her eyes like springs on a trampoline. Suddenly, a voice broke Bella’s thoughts. “Hurry up, you’re late for school!” called Bella’s mum. “I’ll find you tonight Fiddles,” sobbed Bella.
At night, Bella put on her velvet cloak and crept outside into the creepy darkness. The stars twinkled above and seemed to say “keep going”. Bella followed some pawprints that looked like Fiddles. She was really frightened but it soon turned to anger as the pawprints stopped in front of the twins’ house. Peering into the back gate, Bella saw the twins’ mother Alicia and the twins in the backyard. Their cat Amethyst sat purring next to them. Behind, Fiddles lay lonely in a wire cage. “You wanted to win so I said to steal the best cat! These two stupid daughters can’t even control a darn cat!” yelled Alicia and she whacked her stick at Anna and Ameri. Suddenly, Bella felt really sorry for the twins. Without thinking, Bella jumped over the fence, towards Alicia crying “Stop!”
“Hello Bella, what brings you here?” asked Alicia pretending to be polite. Bella took a deep breath and replied, “You have no right to treat Anna and Ameri this way. You couldn’t train a cat better than them. Why are you so mean? If I see you doing that again, I’ll spread the word.” Bella picked up Fiddles and walked out of the gate. As she was leaving, Bella finally saw a true smile from Anna and Ameri.
It was the day of the cat competition. As Bella was waiting for her parents, the twins walked past. “Not them again,” thought Bella. But they asked nicely, “Friends?” Bella grinned. “Sure.”

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!