Origami

Excellence Award in the 'Spread The Word 2017' competition

“No, I don’t what to”, I complained. It was New Year’s Eve and I was just told by my parents that I had to make this thing called origami and I’ll be doing it in this kids’ workshop. I absolutely hate origami it’s just paper folded over and over again with all the blood from your paper cuts. Of course you can’t say you hate something if you haven’t even tried it but, boy I have, with a comforting teacher that was kind enough to give me a tissue. Anyway, my parents wanted me to make a paper lantern.

“Honey, we understand your concern”, Dad was right next to me patting my shoulder,”We know your past on...origami, but it’ll be a very good experiance”. I looked at him with hopeful eyes,”Will Saskia be there?”I asked. My parents exchanged happy glances,”Yep, who spoke to her mother the other night”, Mum’s eyes were full of relief. I was happy that Saskia, my best friend was coming but I was reminded of what she was actually there for.”I guess I could, give it a go”, I said quietly.

As my parents dropped me off, I suddenly felt so very nervous. My fright, calmed down as soon as I saw Saskia sitting at the front table, eagerly waiting for me. “Hi!”, she huffed,”I was starting to wonder if you were coming!”. I smiled, Saskia always was early even though she always sounded rushed. “Of course,”I nodded,”I’ll never forget you”. She gave me a look, but before she could answer a slim, merry teacher walked into the room. She started explaining what we had to do. Then she told us to follow her instructions,” Fold the paper, now take out your scissors….”, she instructed. Just as, I was folding the paper it happened.

I looked in wonder at the bright red cut that was causing even more confusion as it surprisingly didn’t hurt. Saskia giggled,”I told it wasn’t such a big deal, you were just too little at that time”. I was happy, really happy. When my parents came to pick me up, I held up the perfect lantern and exclaimed,”I love origami!”.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!