The Decision

Excellence Award in the 'Spread The Word 2017' competition

You can hear them coming from blocks away, their footsteps mocking me from afar. I pant as my body moves up and down, my speed increasing every step and every second. ‘Stop’, my mind tells me, ‘They can help you’. I brush it off but it keeps talking to me, it’s them. I ignore it again like I did before but I can still hear its nagging voice. I don’t need help, I can do this on my own, and I’ve faced worse people and fantasies than this. Anyway, they haven’t helped me so far. I wish I never got involved. I wish I never asked. I wish that I’d buried it down inside of me until the day I die. But I didn’t want that day to be today.
It’s my fault I lost them. They were the only people I knew, that knew me, that understood me. It’s my responsibility, my job, to fix this. Fix all of this. I turn at a corner which lead to an alleyway. You’d think I would’ve gotten used to the area by know. But this part of the city was a place I’d never get used to, no matter how many times I go and come back to it. I smash my back against the brick wall, my shirt sticking to the wall. I try to stay stiff still, if I rip my back off the wall it’d make a noise, that’s the last thing I want to happen. I can hear voices, I hold my breath, as the steps get louder, their footsteps were calm and light. The footsteps didn’t sound as if they were mad. It was as if they calm. But I bet it was fake, that it was all an act to get me out. Cold air hits me as they pass.
It was a sign of victory, a sign of power. Now all I needed to do was run in the other direction. I think I’ve done it right this time, I don’t think they have any reason to send me back. I’m going home now, to get mum. But suddenly my eyes feel as heavy as boulders, they fall and I can’t see anything. All I see is a dark world, I have no control over my body as it falls to the ground. I know what this means. It means I have to go back. I start to feel my body fall, fall down an endless hole of which I know I can’t escape.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!