Taste Of Success.

The ball is hard and bouncy, it's so loud I can hardly hear myself think. I'm so excited. This was my chance, I felt accomplished I reached my goal.

The first day of training started today, I knew a massive opportunity like this one didn’t just come around and go around. My mum and dad weren’t convinced I could actually get this far already, they wanted to see me succeed but school had to come first. I wanted it bad, I wanted it so bad. I knew I wasn't the best... Yet, I don’t think anyone believed in me but I wanted to prove them wrong! I’ve always said, “You don’t have to be great to start, but you have to start to be great”.

Have you ever wanted something so bad? Well I have, this story is about me and my path to the top. “Alright girls bring it in, today we have some very special people coming to watch your game this evening,” said coach. I was excited, “They will be be keeping an eye out for new talent, this is everything you have worked for and me as your coach to get you to this point.” Although I had come so far already, I wanted to go bigger and higher. I just couldn’t get enough of the game Netball!

FAIL wasn’t in my vocabulary, I spent the whole day fussing and freaking out over this one little game of netball but that was it! It wasn’t just one little Friday night game of netball. A thought kept rolling through my mind, will I ever be offered this opportunity again? When hard work beats talent and when talent doesn't work hard!

The ball is hard and bouncy, it’s so loud I can hardly hear myself think, I've never been this nervous in my life when I really want something I go hard. I push myself to the limit, everybody is cheering, some yelling at the opposition. Although I couldn’t see the recruiters I knew they would be watching very closely at everything my team would be doing on the court.

4th quarter, I’m sweating heavily, my heart rate out of control and the umpire blew her whistle, the game was over. Did I do good? Was good even enough…

A couple days after I received an email from the Australian netball coaches. They wanted to talk to me about becoming a member of their team, they were very impressed by my performance and they think I would make a great player on the team in a few months time.
From such a young age I tasted success and know what it feels like to be at the top.

Since then I have played 40 games for Australia and very proud, I will keep on achieving new goals everyday.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!