Haunted Candles

"Whatever you do,don't go into the attic." my mother said."There's stuff you shouldn't touch up there." So of course I went up to the attic. What kind of kid hears that and doesn't go right up to the attic to see exactly what kind of stuff there is up there?
And what better time to do that then when your mother is asleep, at night? So when my mother was snoring away at midnight, I slid out of bed, tiptoed across the hall, gently opened the trapdoor and climbed into the attic.

The attic was cold and dusty. Only a tiny bit of moonlight shone through the grimy window.
I activated my torch and examined the room. There wasn't much in the room, there was only some old candles and a few crates. I decided that I had seen enough and started towards the trapdoor when it slammed shut. I attempted to open it. Locked. Then suddenly my torch ran out of batteries, which was strange because I was fairly sure I had charged it before bed. I was just about to sit on a crate to think about how to get out of the attic when I heard a strange sound at the other end of the room. I turned around. One of the candles had lit itsef.

It was then I noticed a inscription next to me on the wall. It read:

At the hour of midnight a boy shall come
The candles will light, one by one
When all twelve are lit, a coin shall appear
The child shall flip it to decide his fate
For heads he will be freed
For tails he must die
All will be decided, at the hour of midnight

I shuddered. The boy in the poem must be me, which meant I would have to wait until all twelve candles were lit. So I sat there, unmoving, waiting for the candles to light.

At last the twelth candle lit and a speck of gold appeared at my feet. I picked it up and threw it into the air, then watched as it spun and spun and spun through the air. It landed on it's side, wobbled a bit and tipped over. I rushed over to see which side faced up. It was heads! Then the trapdoor swung open and I ran out of there, faster then Usain Bolt. From that day on, I always listened to my mother and never, ever went anywhere near the attic.

The End

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!