Babysitting

My stomach churned: I stared anxiously at the double-story house. Babysitting a stranger’s kid in the centre of my hometown was hard enough, but out in the middle of nowhere took it to a whole new level. It was a charming neighbourhood, although the houses were miles apart, which was not to my liking. I did not want to take this job, but being a struggling University student with little cash made life very difficult.
My feet moved without command towards the looming front door. Suddenly the door swung open and out sprung a beautiful woman with a baby attached to her side. I give them a tight smile and extend my trembling hand. The woman’s face lights up like an ablaze Christmas tree. “Thank goodness you’re here. I’m sorry I cannot give you a proper tour of our home but I really must go. I am already so late.” In her haste and rushed words, she passes her boy to me. He cradles his head on my shoulder and I cling onto him for dear life. Raising my siblings was easy; I did not partly care if I was a little rough with handling them, but now here I was cradling this baby as if it were a rare object that might break if I held it too tightly. “There is a note inside explaining everything. Thank you so much.” The woman quickly slides into her car and speeds away. I step into the well-furnished house with the baby still in my arms. On the lacquered oak table was a note, which I assumed was for me. I picked it up with my free hand:
Hi Laura
Just a few important details including alarm code information, and also that the gardener Robert will be stopping by later.
Michelle
Taking off my jacket, I scream at the man standing on the staircase, dropping the note and nearly losing grip of the baby. He quickly waves his hands around in a sign of surrender. “I’m Robert, the cleaner,” he points to a name tag and I let out a sigh of relief. He must have come earlier. Well at least I have someone to keep me company. He points to the baby sleeping and volunteers to take him to his bed. I pass him over, graciously, and let my body relax. Maybe this won’t be as hard as I thought.
Hours later, I am startled by the phone ringing. I immediately reach for it. “Wilkings residence, how may I help you?”
“Oh hello darling, I’m just calling to see how things are going. I’m sorry Robert couldn’t make it. It seems he’s busy.” My breathing stills and I clutch the phone tighter.
“But Robert is here,” are the only words I can muster before the phone was snatched violently from my stone, cold hand.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!