I Love You Best

The sight of it ignited a suicidal feeling. Layered under filth and misery rested the man she unconditionally loved and adored, completely lifeless. ‘No. This is a dream, Nat. Don’t be a coward,’ she reassured herself. Surely it was, wasn’t it? She glimpsed at the dismal grave inscribed with the words, ‘Thomas Adams, 1975-2017’ that smirked at her in a sinister manner as if to assert, ‘you’ll never survive without daddy now.’ It caused Natalie to doubt her existence as goose bumps crawled cunningly onto her feeble arms.

“No. No. Daddy’s alive,” she scarcely muttered. “He’s at home. Let’s go home, Nanna. Let’s go home,” her voice became brittle as she slowly leaned toward her grandmother's consoling chest, succumbing to her embrace. Once that first tear was released, the rest followed in a synchronized stream. She weeped hysterically, gulping for breath and moaning with sorrow.

'He's gone.'

“It’s okay. He’s in a better place now,” muffled Nanna. She endeavored to enliven this clouded situation, but it was futile She, too, was disheartened regarding the loss of her only son. Natalie secured her arms around Nanna's waist, fearing that at any instant she, too, will abandon her.

“Let’s go home, please,” she desperately pleaded. Judging by the fact the she was shivering abnormally, it was clear to her grandmother that she was shattered. She nodded, and Natalie clasped her damp hands that had been wiping her tears onto the gnarled surface of her grandmother’s. Together, they proceeded to their Mercedes in a faltered manner.

“Nat, you do know I love you to the moon and back, right?” beamed dad. Oh, that sweet, sweet voice. The same voice that she could never forget, that she unknowingly cherished, the same voice that could never emit melody to her ears again.

“I love you to the sun and back!"

The reminiscences were all returning to her. The memories. The giggles. I Love You Best. She had remembered 'I Love You Best', their favourite contest where, upon seeing each other, had competed at who could say 'I love you best' first. If Natalie was victorious, her father would reply, "I'll get you - just wait." There wasn't a single doubt in the world when the two were paired.

Her grandmother cleared her throat, obtaining Natalie's attention. She glanced up, viewing an old, wretched smile, chapped lips framing crooked teeth. It comforted Natalie, just like her father’s signature smile; his left side of his mouth slightly higher than the right. “This is from your father. He had no opportunity to give it to you," Nanna extended her hand that encased a white, miniature box. Natalie inhaled deeply; unaware of what was to come. She feared that if opened it, she’d burst into a fit of uncontrollable wailing.

After composing herself, she lifted the lid to reveal an exquisite golden necklace that formed her name, each letter engraved cursively and cursively. Then, written on a small note were the words,

‘I love you best – gotcha.’

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!