The Dog Ate It

Excellence Award in the 'Spread The Word 2017' competition

There was no way out of it. I’d have to read the rest of Annabelle’s Farm. I gave the book a dirty look. I picked it up, opened the book and started to read. I’d read about a page when I collapsed, exhausted. I glanced at my watch. I’d read for two whole minutes. TWO WHOLE MINUTES! I tossed the book a triumphant look. 33 pages down, 58 to go. Then I questioned myself why I was feeling proud. Why was I reading this silly book anyway? Book quiz! Hooray! Not! Who’d look forward to a book quiz? I have to finish this book before I go to school tomorrow. That’s only 17 hours away! ONLY 17 HOURS! I really need to get reading. But Annabelle’s Farm is so tedious! Wait, I’m getting side tracked again. I picked it up again and started to read, fast. After what seemed like forever I fell on my bed gasping like a dying fish out of water. I’d read for four whole minutes! FOUR WHOLE MINUTES! 35 pages down, 56 to go. I don’t think I can read another 56 pages. All I want right now is for the dog to eat this book. Yes, my Border collie, Max, would destroy this book in seconds. I pondered the thought. It was actually a pretty good plan. All I had to do was slip the book into Max’s bowl and… suddenly, I realized what I was thinking. If the dog ate this book it’d mean: 1. Detention for 1 week; 2. being grounded for 2 weeks and 3. No pocket money for 3 weeks; (and I’d probably still have to read the book.) In all the books you’ve ever read has anyone gotten away with the excuse, the dog ate it? Well I certainly wouldn’t. Now I think about it, that is the least thing I want to happen right now. If that did happen it would be a nightmare! So I’d just have to suck it up and read the rest of the book. I was about halfway down the page, when I fell asleep due to extreme boredom, still holding the book. I don’t know how long I slept for but when I woke up, the book had disappeared out of my hand that was hanging off the side of my bed. Where had it gone? I’m pretty sure that books can’t grow legs and walk. (Or can they?) I decided I’d go down stairs to look. Maybe I’d dropped the book and Mum had come and picked it up. I thought I should search the lounge room first. I went down the stairs and entered the kitchen. As I was heading for the lounge room I noticed lots of ripped up bits of paper on the floor. I looked at Max, bits of paper covered his face. Panic set in as I realized the horrific event that happened here. The dog ate it.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!