Running With The Wolves

Excellence Award in the 'Spread The Word 2017' competition

We never knew where she had come from or when she was born. All we knew was that she had been abandoned on a beach and needed a home. She ran around the yard when she came home, dashing to and from each person as we tried out names, the white tip of her tail wagging enthusiastically. For seven years she became a bigger part of our family with every passing day, she got in trouble, she misbehaved, but she was always there to talk to when we needed it, only requiring a thorough grooming every time as payment. She loved everyone, not caring if they didn’t feel the same about her. I loved her too and though I knew she would leave on day, deep down I thought she was immortal. I couldn’t imagine life without her so I never really thought I’d have to live without her. But every dog has it’s day, as the old saying goes. Hers was a week before Christmas, when she sneaked into the house, stole a bag of chocolate coins and ate them. I couldn’t bear to let her go. I tried so hard to save her. For three months I made her hold on as I did everything thing I could think of. I couldn’t let her go, not when she was still looking at me so happily and wagging her tail despite her sickness. I couldn’t betray her when she was fighting so hard to survive. Tears would come when I thought about losing her and I held her tight in my lap to push them away. The day came when I had to make a decision I never thought I would have to but she was in so much pain. So I let them take her. I let her go. It was a full moon that night and I as I looked up at it I knew that somewhere she was happy again. Somewhere she was not in pain anymore, where she was whole. Somewhere she was running with the wolves and if I listen hard enough, perhaps I will hear their howls.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!