Wolf Guardians

Excellence Award in the 'Spread The Word 2017' competition

"Come back," I yell as mum runs into the dark of the night.
Why is she running from me? I stop and fall to my knees panting, out of breath, as I watch her run into the depths of the forest. I sigh as a tear drips from my face.
"Where is she going?"
I grab a torch and start searching for her. It's a cold night and as I walk I think…why the forest? So many questions circle through my head. It motivates me to find her to get answers. An hour goes by and still no sign of her. I'm worried.
I stop for a break. Poor mum, all alone in the freezing cold. Suddenly I hear something coming towards me. The leaves rattle and shake.
"Who's there?" I yell shining my torch at the leaves.
"Mother is that you?"
There was a moment of silence. Slowly a wolf started to emerge from the bush. I run as fast as my legs can take me. I stop out of breath. I was terrified, and worse..... I was lost!
It was late so I sat under a tree trying to look camouflaged. I finally drift to sleep. It was at least an hour later before my eyes flutter open. It feels like there's a spider’s web on my leg. I sit up to see a wolf sniffing it instead! I freeze in panic and slowly pull my leg away. I squeeze me eyes closed and hold my breath. I feel it breathing on me. I feel like letting out a scream…but it starts licking my face! Suddenly there was a flash of light. I look away from the light. Looking up I see mum.
"Mum! Did you see? A huge wolf was about to eat me and…”
I was interrupted by a warm hug.
"I know darling," she says. "I was there the whole time."
"But how?" I wonder.
She shows me her necklace her mother gave to her.
"This is how."
"I don't understand," I say still confused.
"I was that wolf."
I was speechless, I didn't know what to say.
"You mean the wolf that was just on top of me?"
"Yes," she says.
"So your necklace is magical?"
"Yes, it makes me turn into a wolf."
"Why?" I ask.
"You see, our family has a close relationship with wolves. This necklace gets passed on through our family. We help protect the wolves and forest. We had a meeting about how all the trees are getting chopped down."
"Did you hear me calling?" I question.
"I'm so sorry sweetheart," she sighs.
"I didn't hear you. I was so determined to get there I didn't even notice."
"Have you done this before?" I ask.
"Yes, but you've been asleep. Oh and darling, just remember I would never leave you by yourself, never will, never have. Dad's probably fast asleep by now. We better get you home. You've got school tomorrow."
"Ok." I say, as we start walking home.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!