Invaders And Traitors

Excellence Award in the 'Spread The Word 2017' competition

The judge walks into the courtroom, my identity papers in his bag and a recyclable coffee cup in his hand. His large size hinted at what the paper bag in his briefcase contained, but as he sat down a hint of kindness flashed in his eyes. “These papers-“, he paused for effect, “Pass.”
It’s funny how when isolated from humanity your worries don’t slip away - they grow.
The white metal is cool on my hands, curved rungs less of a ladder and more a banister of sorts along our hallway. AI-103462; the spaceship of Earth’s dreams - and nightmares. Our mission: to restore peace, destroy alien plans to end earth and struggle through three years of isolation on a space shuttle as a pair.
In simpler terms, a death sentence.
But so far I’ve survived, and we’re due to land at the Dolsan airbase tomorrow. As I float into my room I automatically turn off the light and turn on the gravity before plummeting onto the soft mattress of my bed. As I close my eyes I see nightmarish images before everything fades to black.
Leaping out of bed I grab my spacesuit before floating down the corridor. Our spaceship suddenly falls a kilometre, and before I can even think, Belle floats to me, panicking and terrified. “Anastacia!” she screams. “The engines have shut do-“is all she can say before we’re pinned to the ceiling as we drop to the mountains below. I vaguely register that Belle’s passed out beside me before impact jolts my body, and I fall to the cream-coloured metal that I had floated along not long ago.
Though my eyelids feel like they’re made of lead I jump up instantly, assessing my situation. We’ve landed 30 odd kilometres from the main city of Dolsan, and I figure I’ve been unconscious for almost an hour. That doesn’t leave much time for me to work out an alibi – and I’ll need one considering – so I have to do something fast.
Dolesan has oxygen, so I rip off my spacesuit before my human disguise falls to the ground. I throw my identity papers to the ground before grabbing my Dolesan papers and smooth my metal casing into a matte green. I’m not human. I’m not Dolsan. I’m an Android humanoid. But I’ve programmed myself to be one hundred percent Dolsan at will – and it might just save my life right now. With stolen identity papers that are genuine I figure I’ve got a while before they can figure it out.
When the Dolesan authorities come for our wreck they’ll see one of them, with a prized human astronaut pinned beneath her. As Belle stirs underneath me the emergency hatch opens from above, and I know.
I will survive.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!