Dangerous Air

As I feel my long orange fin glide through the crystal blue water, the pretty yellow coral starts to feel familiar. I’m sure that I’m going around in circles. I’ve travelled so far from home that the clean blue water is starting to turn deep green colours. I’m starving, hungry. I haven’t had a single piece of food in days. As I swim forward into the deep dark, murky ocean I can feel my empty, shriveled up stomach jerk forwards, begging for a single piece of meaty fish. Being only a small three-year-old clown fish I don’t know what to do or where to go. I know that I will never see my family again.
A small figure in the distance seeming awfully still for something that’s lurking around the ocean. As I swim closer it seems like my eyes are playing tricks on me. I’m sure it is my starvation. It must be meddling with my mind and giving me hallucinations. It seems like there is another fish but it’s not moving. Swimming forward I can feel my hunger grow, I don’t really want to kill it but its either that or starve. I lunge forward to take a big powerful bite but as soon as my teeth grasp on to it I can feel a sharp tugging on the fish and before I know it I’m being brought up to the oceans surface. As I enter the dangerous air I can feel my gills starting to dry up. I can only see a large rope pulling me into a big boat and I hear a loud sea horn ringing in the distance.
I try to pull myself down back into the water but the strong sharp rope is pulling me up into the biggest boat I’ve ever seen. I can hear the boat laughing at me. I can almost hear Mum in the background as I see my life flash before me I can remember the time when Dad used to play hide and seek with me in the coral. I wish that I could have more time with him. I wish that I was at home tucked in Mum’s fins lying with Dad next to me in the warm anemone and I know that at this point I’ll never see my family again. As my eyes slowly shut, I take my last breath of dangerous air.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!