Never Going Back

Never Going Back

I stumbled down the cobblestone path, my feet hurting every time the odd sharp stone pierced through my fragile pale skin. I knew it was worth it though; I was not going back to the facility, never again. I looked ahead of me, the cobblestone looked like it stretched on for miles and miles turning and twisting like a snake’s tail. The more I went down the path the foggier it got, I felt grateful, as it would make me less visible, harder to find.

I finally reached the valley, the surface of the water as still as a pane of glass, the jagged mountain tops hard to make out. The edges of the valley infested with moss. Nevertheless, it was still there, the cabin was still there. I approached the door, the cold water stung as it met my feet. It was intact, barely; its rustic hinges held it crooked. I slowly opened the door, reducing as much sound as possible. The cold water came up to my knees, my legs felt numb I could barely move them. I looked forward at the old wooden cabinet and stared. I forced my finders over to the handle, I knew what was in that cabinet and I knew it would come into good use

I opened the cabinet; the rusty, weathered gun lay in front of me. I could not bring myself to pick it up; my mind fixated on the memory of the last time I picked up that gun. Suddenly I hear voices in the distance; I duck down and get a short glimpse. It was three armed men wearing bright yellow hazmat suits. I panicked, they must have been form the facility, they must have been here to find me. A billion thoughts flew through my mind, until I can across one simple idea. RUN

Without another second to spare I run, I hear the men scramble behind me. I could hear there muffled voices in the distance but I could not understand. I hear them stop. “Finally” I whispered “I am free, no more suffering, no more pain. Then I fell and I felt the stone hard ground meet my head. I tried to get up but I was too weak; I turned to my left, my shoulder pierced with a long dart. A small stream of blood flowed out of my shoulder making the rest on my body feel numb.

The men surrounded me and one of them was saying something but I could not understand. The whole world started spinning as they lifted my almost lifeless body up. I did not want to go back, no more experiments. I took control over my body and gave a hard kick to the man on my right. I stumbled to the ground, my vision was taken away by a white screen and in my last thoughts, I hoped that I would never have to wake up again.
By Dylan Tracey

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!