My New Pet

Excellence Award in the 'Spread The Word 2017' competition

My name is Mitchell and on one scorching summer’s day in Rawnsley Park, I awoke from my slumber at 4pm with the sound of fire crackling whizzing through my ears and I felt like it was 60 degrees or maybe even more! But it was still 59.5, degrees to be exact which is really, really hot. So I quickly sat up and looked out my window and saw a box that was big enough to fit the world’s biggest horse in it. So I jumped out of bed, got dressed as fast as I could and rushed out of the house to see what it was. But each step I slowed down because of the scorching heat, and each step also made me hotter by at least 10 degrees maximum. And when I got to just a foot away from the mysteries box, I stepped 0.5 feet, and when I did, I got hotter to about 80 degrees! I stepped back and walked around the box and looked for the latch to open it. As I came around the last corner, I found the latch. I unlocked it, and when I did I felt even hotter than ever. When I opened it I saw a fire! So I ran faster than I had ever ran before. I hurried towards the hose as fast as I could. I grabbed the hose and pulled and pulled and pulled as hard as I could! But then I ran out of hose and it wasn’t long enough! I pulled and pulled and pulled, but it was no use. It wasn’t long enough and I had to try and put out a fire. I could try and call the fire department, but they wouldn’t be fast enough and mum & dad were sick. Which left me one choice, I had to put out the fire by myself. Even though I was 20 meters away still holding the hose in my unbelievably sweaty hands. I turned the hose on full blast. And the high presser spraying water came spitting out like a rocket. I pointed the water towards the fire, and as soon as the fire went out completely, I heard a screech come from the box. Once the steam cleared, I saw a burnt bird. As I stepped closer to the strange box, it exploded into ashes. I felt sorry for that bird. But then the ashes imploded again and the bird was alive again, only younger. After about 5 seconds, the bird lit on fire! It only took me a few seconds to realise that it was a… Phoenix! I was the happiest kid to have ever lived! I was filled with so much happiness. But by the time I could let it free of the box, my alarm went off for bed time and I had to get to sleep before mum and dad notice I’m gone. So I went to sleep.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!