The Lost Treasure

Excellence Award in the 'Spread The Word 2017' competition

I slam the door. Tears trickling like a waterfall down my face. My cheeks red with fury. Heart aching with restraint. Legs lost with control. My surging eyes gazing everywhere for a place for comfort. What did I do to deserve this? I’d been through this already with Dad. But why again? I spot an abandoned building. The paint peeling, shattered windows, neglected garden. Maybe this is what it feels like to be abandoned. I turn the delicate glass handle.
The room had a minty whiff. Doors after doors that were numbered. I lay down on the cold floor feeling unloved. It was just a bad dream. I thought she would beat cancer, but if she didn’t get treatment tonight she would pass away in hospital. I needed money. I needed it so bad. I look up at the door in front of me. That read number 29.
Tears still flowing down my face. I went to investigate. My ears were still ringing from the cruel words said. My heart still stung with rage. I was desperate to find something valuable. The room was dark and in the distance I could see a bookshelf. My legs lead me to it like a magnet. I look for something that would help.
The moon shining through a single window. I found among the books a tile, ‘The lost treasure’ I turned holding it tight. That was when I began to run for my Mum’s life. I needed treasure. I looked for the X, the map showed in room 29. I sprinted like never before in the endless room. It was luck that I came across this place. There was not much time. Mum needed help now. I see a wooden chest.
My tears stop and my legs stood motionless just metres from the box. My soul kneeled down as I thanked the universe for this miracle. I crawled towards the valuable chest and tried opening the chest it wouldn’t budge. Then I read the warning ‘Only the heart can open the chest’. I wept in frustration knowing I had failed. Mum would probably be praying that she could see me. The chest was right in front of me. I needed hope. It made me miserable to think I was almost there.
I lay on the chest. My heart was thumping. I heard sound. I looked down, with deep shock. It was a miracle. I ran through the room to the door, the unlocked chest in my arms. Within minutes I was racing towards the hospital room to give the chest to a doctor.
All I could do now is hope. How did I open the chest? ‘Only the heart can open the chest’. My heart. It was a miracle. I felt exhausted and started to doze off with stress. Then an angel, a light, my mum. I sprung up and hugged her tightly. That day I found hope. Hope for life.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!