Home

Excellence Award in the 'Spread The Word 2017' competition

This was it. I entered the Hobart airport, my emotions a mixture of fear and nerves. I thought this adventure would be filled with excitement, happiness and thrills, but I couldn’t feel any of those emotions. Not even slightly.
I lined up with my suitcase in hand and ticket in the other. My parents silently followed behind me. They were taking my journey back to India differently, but I knew one thing. They were both happy for me.
I reached the security gates and I knew it was time to say goodbye. I hugged my father for a few moments and hear him whisper, “I’m so proud, son. So very, very proud”.
My mother clutched me tightly against her chest, the way she did when I was young. I thought she wouldn’t let go. She remained silent.
I took a deep breath and walk through those gates. I don’t look back, I can’t. I knew that if I looked back to my parents I wouldn’t go any further.
Walking the stairs to the door of the plane felt like I was walking up a mountain. When I finally reached the top after what seemed like an eternity, I found my seat number and sat nervously. As the plane ascended into the air, I watched the world around me.
I awoke to a soft tap on the shoulder from the flight attendant. We were here. In India.
She didn’t have to tell me twice. I scampered out of the plane to get my luggage and walked towards the exit. My hands shook as I rolled my suitcase through the airport. I was about to walk the same streets I walked on every day of my childhood. I pushed the doors open and gasped. This looked nothing like my memories.
The streets crawled with cars, bikes and autorickshaws. I hailed a taxi and handed him an address on a scrawled up piece of paper. He drove while I stared out the window, trying to find anything I could recognise.
Then I saw it. The sign. I got out of the taxi and stood next to it, closing my eyes. I remembered.
I let my memories lead me as things started to become more familiar. This was my home. I could feel it. I broke into a slow jog, then a run, then a sprint, trying to push through the crowd.
I was home. It wasn’t as I remembered. This house was deserted, besides a small brown goat. My heart sank.
A small woman appeared, looking at me curiously. She started to speak.
“I’m sorry, I don’t speak Hindi,” I said.
“I speak English too, a little,” she replied.
I reached into my pocket, pulling out the only picture I had of me as a child. She studied it for a few moments, her brows furrowing.
“Come with me,” she said, finally. “I’m going to take you to your mother”.


FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!