Dare

"DETENTION, ALEXIS CAMPBELL!!" my Principal cackled angrily, like I had just got arrested. She snatched the papers out of my hand. The breath exploded from my mouth into the claustrophobic room. I tightened my grip on Nadia, my twin’s hand like I was trying to cut the circulation off. I looked at her, eyes brimmed with tears and immediately recognised the frown on her distraught face. "AND A DETENTION, FOR YOUR SISTER TOO," she spat. "GET OUT OF MY OFFICE!” she screeched.
As Nadia and I walked in dismay back to our room, she yelled horrific things at me. "It’s all your fault, you always misbehave and you get me into trouble!" she yelled, using her accusing tone. You’re probably wondering what I did to earn a detention. Well, I'll say one word: Dare.
I was eavesdropping outside Ava, Mia and Sienna’s room, my enemies, when I heard them talking about me. ‘Alexis is this, Alexis is that!’ I burst into the room, raised my fist ready, to attack. Luckily, Nadia grabbed my clenched hand. Somehow, she found me, just in time. The girls moved backwards, but one, stayed in front of me. Ava.
"You're just in time Alexis!" Ava said. I said something back, like I usually do. Ava just grinned, like I was her best friend. "We were just about to play truth or dare," Mia said. "Care to join?" Ava asked. "No!" I said, my teeth clenched tight. "Oh, girls, she's scared!" Ava taunted. "I'm not scared" and to prove myself I said, "I'll play.”
"Truth or dare, Alexis?" Ava asked. I instinctively chose dare, as I like to live on the edge. "I dare you to pilfer Mrs. Mayor's student records!" she sniggered. Nadia and I gasped. "Or are you too... frightened?" Ava said. "That's an abominable dare,” Nadia said, shaking her head. "I'll do it!" I said and with that, I ran out of the room to steal those records.
I felt like a lunatic, like I had just escaped an insane asylum. Waiting for me at the top of the high stairs, was a large red door. I didn't knock, I just pushed it open. Mrs. Mayor, my Principal wasn't in there. I crawled around, like a crazed toddler, hoping not to get caught.
As I opened the drawer, Nadia came behind me. She grabbed my hand. “HEY!” I screamed followed up by, “What are you doing here?” “Trying to get you out… safely,” she replied. I smiled. I grabbed the records, but before we could leave…
"DETENTION, ALEXIS CAMPBELL!!"

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!