Facing The Bully

3. 2. 1. DING
All around me people rush out of class to get the “best spot” for lunch break, but not me, why should I, no one is waiting for me to get outside and no one is saving me a seat. I walk slowly out of class keeping my head down, wondering if today will be a good day, today, hopefully, they won’t notice me or call me names.
“Hey, snotface” someone calls out, I don’t turn around but I know who’s voice it is, their voice follows me everywhere, like a shadow, always lurking ready to pounce at any moment, Alia. I keep walking towards the locker, reassuring myself that they have better things to do then flush my books down the toilet or slap me across the face, but I know it’s hopeless, they could be having the busiest day ever and yet they would find time to torment me.
“Where’s your mummy, cry baby, that’s right she left so she wouldn’t have to see your ugly face” this brought tears to my eyes, my mother, died six months ago, I should be able to get over it now but the memory is fresh because these girls keep refreshing it. I try to walk away but the girls push me up against the wall, hard. The brick walls cut into my forehead, and blood runs down into my right eye. The girls laugh and I grit my teeth, Alia leans down close to my face and spits in it. She high fives her cronies and they walk away laughing and flicking their hair.
I rush to the bathroom and clean my bloody face, I splash my face with water but that doesn’t cover the fact I’m crying. All the while I wonder what I ever did to them, what could make them hate me? I take a deep breath and step outside, I realized that I had left my lunch pack back where Alia and her friends were sitting but you couldn’t bribe me with anything to go get it, I decided that I would go hungry today, not really like I had the choice, the girls seemed to notice the lunch box was mine so they grabbed the food and stomped on it. My apple, squashed.
As a teacher walked over to Alias group, the effect was immediate, Alia and her girls put on the most charming smile they could manage and welcomed Ms. Bennet over with a kind, soft voice. Why? I would ask myself, why couldn’t they see what was going on, that Alias sickly sweet smiles were just an act? The other kids were scared of Alia, so they cowered in the shadow of the bully. I was sick to the stomach of all the teachers acting like she was some little princess while everyone else was forced to do things in fear of her. They needed a protector, I understood now. It was time to face the bully.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!