Fall From Grace

Fall from grace

Do you know that feeling? The sinking pit of dread that lurks like a weight at the bottom of your mind, weighing your every choice? The dread that coils around you like a snake, tightening until you snap? I was sick of that burden, I wanted freedom. That’s why I jumped of the rail. That’s how I, Ava Hale, fell from grace.

As I stood on the side of the deck, precariously close to the edge, my thoughts whipping themselves into a hapless frenzy; one stood out. Would they search for me? would they think it was an accident? As I pondered this, a throat cleared nervously behind me. ‘It’s 8 O’clock miss, are you all right?’ the young steward asked. I gathered my courage and as the wind distorted my words, flinging them in his face ‘No I am not all right, I am angry and sad, and broken and I can’t be fixed!’ I screamed. I clambered shakily on to the rail and as he leapt forward, I jumped.


Alice in Wonderland was a lie, you didn’t fall slowly, didn’t have time to gaze at your surroundings. Apparently there was a giant splash. The waters icy, splintered, fingers grasped me, cloaking senses I didn’t know I had, an incoherent thought bubbled the sludge of my mind. The fall had not killed me, that I knew. But surely, surely the water would.



‘Ava’, ‘Ava’, ‘Ava. The water whispered my name and I fought to stay conscious, I kicked towards; not sunlight but the dull glow of torches. I broke the surface feebly and my brain and lungs surrendered to my only available occupancy; breathing.

A drop of rain, followed by another and another, until it could only be described as a storm. The waves picked me up as though I were a toy. Each pelting down, stinging my skin.

With a jolt I remembered my mission so easy to accomplish if I just slipped below the waves, just let go. I realised it then. It wasn’t my time to die. With an effort that nearly stopped my heart, I waved my deadened arms and cried out. The searchers shouted in joy and relief and a life boat sped over to me. Arms, lots of arms lifted me up onto the boat, and I could relax with a sigh I felt free, lighter, empowered, despite nothing changed. It was my cry for help and now I will get it.

The end.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!