Nutbeans

Excellence Award in the 'Spread The Word 2017' competition

There was once a town that was old as time and as sour as lemons. There was only one man in the village that was happy and buoyant. His name was Mr Nutbean and he lived on nutbean juice from a gnarled old tree in the center of town. He spent his days singing jolly songs and drinking nutbean juice. Now a nutbean is a very peculiar thing. It is a white bean with an acorn cap on top and it will squirt juice in your eye if you squeeze it too hard.
Mr Nutbean always went around town in the mornings singing his little song. It went like this.
“Oh a nutbean is a most peculiar thing
and as you hear me sing,
you will know how to be happy as can be,
oho me and my nutbeans,
oh how do I love my nutbeans.”
Now you may understand what a peculiar man Mr Nutbean was. All the village people thought so too and his wife wondered why she ever even married him. Mrs Limp who was the most sour person in town always muttered under her breath as the singing Mr Nutbean skipped past.
One day as Mr Nutbean was wandering around town he bumped into Dame Sickle and offered her a swig of nutbean juice. She took it only because she was polite. As the tickly bubbles fizzed down her throat she felt as if a huge weight had been lifted from her old wrinkly shoulders and she began to sing. She had a very lovely voice and everyone stopped and stared, then they were clapping (all except Mr Nutbean of course who was roaring with laughter). This woman, who had lost all her family, was now bowing and blushing a deep red but even so you could see the old woman smiling from ear to ear. “It’s the nutbeans!” she cried.
Everyone stopped and looked around at Mr Nutbean. Mr Erros cried “he made the woman go mad, get him!”
An angry Mr Sickle said “you’ll pay for this!” and the town charged at poor Mr Nutbean who ran as fast as he could, throwing nutbean bottles into the crowd!
Then a miraculous thing happened. One by one the people started to get drunk on nutbean juice, until only Mrs Limp was left. When she finally cornered him she cackled with laughter. “I have not had this much fun in years!” and she was happy. All the people except Mr Nutbean stopped and stared “I knew she had it in her” yelled Mr Nutbean.
Now the town is happy and everybody drinks nutbean juice and eats nutbean pies. Mr Nutbean and his wife had a family and nutbeans went down in history!

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!