I Just Don't Understand

I just don’t get it. I haven’t done anything wrong, I think. Mum and dad won’t tell me what they do for work. I cry myself to sleep over it. I think this is already enough for you. You don't even know who I am. Let me introduce myself. My name is Rhianna Field. I am 14 years old, live with my mum, dad, younger twin brothers, Sam and Max and my 3 month old dog. Every year on my birthday, I ask mum and dad to tell me what they are. But do they ever tell me? NO! I just am so angry at them for that.

Yeah! Tomorrow is my birthday! I will be 15 years old. I have asked for 15 presents. Do you get it? It’s funny if you understand. As you know, my goal is to know what my parents job is. Tonight, I am going to sneak downstairs, into the dining room. Once they leave the room, I am going to take a picture of the work.What do you think of my plan?

Ok. My plan is a go. Mum and dad just went upstairs. This gives me about 5 minutes to get what I need. I creep downstairs, quiet as a mouse. I get out my phone, from my pyjama pocket. I take three pictures of their work. I hear their muffled voices coming back up. I jump onto my feet, and run upstairs. To myself I say: “Finally, the proof”.

Hip Hip Hooray! I am now 15 years old. I feel like I am forgetting something. What is it? Anyway, I better go get my party on! What a sec. I am going to confront mum and dad over the confidential letters that I found. I walk downstairs into to the kitchen. I feel so embarrassed as mum and dad sing me happy birthday. I grab my phone. I show mum and dad the pictures. They get so cross with me. They eye me down like a hawk. Mum yells. Dad sends me to my room. What a great way to start my birthday. Not.

After about 10 minutes, mum walks in. “ We were going to tell you what we work as, but now you know. I know it’s hard and you probably hate us for it. Your father and I, are the manages of Lockheart Shopping centre.” Said mum calmly. “ So that’s what they were for” I say as I sniffle back my tears. “ Now you know, we can get your birthday started.”

I am so happy now that I know what they are. Mum and dad, say that I can’t tell any of my friends, because all their parents are going to what to get discounts, and they don’t won’t to be hassled. After my party, they take me to the shopping centre. I see their office. It is amazing.

Instead of me saying ‘I just don’t understand”. Now, I can say “ I really do understand”.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!