Mystery Of The Galaxy

Excellence Award in the 'Spread The Word 2017' competition

Have you ever wondered if there was a place far off in the distance that no one has ever discovered? Past the horizon and still waiting for someone to find it, but no one knows it’s in the galaxy! Astronomers study every planet, but about 9 trillion light years away, one small planet stands firmly alone.
Suddenly the planet showed up in the radar of an Astronomer making observations of the galaxy. The computer calculated that it was 9 trillion light years away. No astronaut dared to voyage there because it was too dangerous. Then a few brave Astronomers volunteered to take the challenge. The space project director invited the Astronomers to come forward and he gave them the badge of leadership. He announced, “You are all extraordinary Astronomers who are willing to risk your lives. Bravo!” Then everyone clapped.
The team set off in their spaceship the next day at 1:24am. They slept off after setting the spaceship to ‘AUTO PILOT’. When they woke up, they were already 6 trillion light-years away. “Well, this mission is going quick!” said an Astronomer with an amazed look on her face. They scanned the stars on the way and the biggest one was the luminous VY Canis Majoris.
Suddenly they approached a massive black hole that looked like Holmberg 15a. Unfortunately, they couldn’t avoid it, so they went through it fearfully. Surprisingly, they did not experience spaghettification! They then realised that it was just an illusion. Why was there an illusion in the middle of the galaxy? Nobody had an answer.
Soon after that, the spaceship crashed onto a silver planet. They were thrilled to realise that it was their destination! There was a huge crater on the planet and bright silvery lights shone out of it. They all jumped into the crater and reached the bottom in 3 minutes. At the bottom, they found something more valuable than gold in it – thousands of platinum bars!
They explored the planet and loaded their spaceship with as much platinum they could, before setting-off again. When they finally reached earth, everyone welcomed them with a loud cheer.
They gave the photos of the black hole illusion to the Director. The Director immediately analysed it, and to his astonishment, he realised that the silver planet has vanished from the galaxy! But how? Haven’t they just visited the planet? How could it disappear so soon?
The Chief Astronomer who had studied all the information then presented his results to the bewildered team. There was a real black hole approaching from right behind the silver planet. The silver planet sent special rays to create an illusion of the black hole so that no one would go past it and get sucked into the approaching black hole. And the silver planet itself wasn’t sucked by the black hole; rather it was transported to somewhere else. “Where?” someone asked. “Somewhere no one knows. Way more than 9 trillion light years away!”

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!