The Frog

Excellence Award in the 'Spread The Word 2017' competition

The box wobbled to and fro. No. Not now! Max thought. He couldn’t stop to still it for he was reading and the teacher was looking straight at him. But the box kept wobbling. It didn’t stop. The thing inside wanted to get out. Suddenly the lid of the box came off and landed on the floor. Luckily, the teacher didn’t hear. A small little slimy creature hopped out of the box. Luckily no one saw, but Max. He swallowed hard, his face going pale as the green slimy creature jumped across the floor. It was going towards not just any desk, but Mrs. Bumblebee’s desk. She was studying a sheet of paper, and every now and then, propping up her glasses as they kept slipping down. The little green creature kept hopping towards Mrs. Bumblebee’s desk, and Max had to do something to stop it. ‘Yes! I could catch a fly and put it on the ground next to me. Then it would come here,’ Max thought. But it was too late. Annoying little Beatrice screamed. “Miss! There’s a frog under your desk!” she yelled, now standing on her desk. Mrs. Bumblebee’s face turned pale. She stood up on her chair and looked onto the ground. The frog was right next to her. Max did not expect this to happen, but… the teacher fainted. And from such a height too. Ouch! Susie started crying, and nearly all the girls were on their desks, or had fled out of the room. But the boys… oh boy, they were having the time of their lives! No teacher, scared girls and a slimy green frog to catch. The frog jumped everywhere, having quite a time. Soon all the girls were out of the classroom, screaming. The room went chaos. Boys were running everywhere trying to catch the frog. But it was much too quick for them! Suddenly, Max held out his hand with a plump juicy fly in it. That got the attention. The frog started to jump towards Max and just as it jumped to get the fly, Max caught it in the box and shut it up by putting the lid on top. The boys cheered, even though slightly disappointed the fun was over. Max wiped his forehead relieved that the frog was safely away. He taped it and then placed it at the back of the room. A boy opened the door and told the girls they could come back. He told them to sit back down and continue to read. They obeyed and promised not to mention this to the teacher again. Everyone kept reading and soon the teacher awoke. “O dear me children. What good children you are! I’m sorry. I must have fallen asleep for I had the most peculiar dream,” Mrs. Bumblebee said, her face alert with shock. Everyone laughed softly under their breathe. How funny! They had the same dream, or instead it was true! Never again would Max a frog to school. Ever!

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!