Midnight Stroll

Finalist in the 'Spread The Word 2017' competition

A tawny owl fluttered above me, nesting in a nearby tree. It hooted twice before moving along, leaving me with a chorus of cicadas. A cool breeze weaved through my hair. Everything was calm, quiet. Some company would’ve been nice. But Kiess said he’d be joining me soon.
War may’ve ended, but there’s still much to do. We need to work on the new borders to prevent another total destruction of a kingdom. But how can I convince the others my plan would work?
Questions raced through my mind, causing my body to halt. This walk was intended to help relax my nerves, I need to breathe. I was chosen as successor because he believed in me. If our last leader believes I am good enough, then I can lead our kingdoms into an era of peace. My idea will work. We will survive.
I took swift breaths as my stress melted. How did he do it? Sighing, I continued my aimless wander. My legs brought me to the old willow.
Memories of a younger, much simpler time, flooded my mind. Images appeared of younger me playing with my brother within the branches of the old tree. A smile crept onto my lips as I ran my hand over the wood, reminiscing of a simpler time. The leaves rustled reassuringly from the cool breeze off the lake. The frogs sang, joining in on nature’s melody.
My childlike spirit rose in my chest as my hands reached for the branches. Slowly, I pulled myself up. Climbing in this tree again opened the floodgate of memories. Between the forks of a branch, I had nestled a space for myself admiring the large lake. The night was clear, creating underwater galaxies. Every ripple added to the beauty, the serenity of the night sky. Fireflies flittered around the lake, each dancing their own intricate pattern. Nature, art at its finest.
It was my ignorance to the figure in the bushes that was my downfall.
A metal chain tightly wrapped around my neck, yanking me out of the branches, onto the ground. Pushing myself up was futile, as they had me pinned down. Instinctively my hands reached for my trusted sword. So far, I had managed to stay calm. To think an empty sheathe could cause so much panic.
My attacker grabbed my wrist, piercing it with a sharp object. My guess would be a needle. That very thought made my blood run cold, but it filled me with much needed adrenaline. Twisting and flailing my limbs, I managed to flip myself over. This was pointless as my body soon became iron. My once fast beating heart began to slow down. Happy with their job, my attacker fled into the night. Slowly, I began to accept my demise. Maybe they’ll find the papers I left in the office. I smiled as hoped filled me as the world started to fade black.
“Dreya!”
A faint smile crept upon my face. Kiess had arrived.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!