Right In Front Of Me

Excellence Award in the 'Spread The Word 2017' competition

I remember it so well. The rain that echoed off the school's tin roof all those years ago, the cool chill in the air, and the symphony of laughter and excitement along the corridors that the rain always seemed to bring. My heart was beating like a drum. My knuckles turning ivory as I clutched my skirt. He was standing right in front me. Honey-golden hair framing his face perfectly and chocolate eyes staring through all my facades of confidence, turning my ears an unruly red.
I chuckled at the memory. It took me several attempts before my voice broke through the barrier my own self-doubt had created, but his face had distorted as soon as the words left my lips and my heart turned to stone. His furrowed brows, and slight frown gave me my answer. Voicing his answer, the answer I knew he'd give, only confirmed my fears. I stood, broken, in the corridor for what felt like weeks, months, though it could only have been a few seconds. Watching his back disappear in the bustling crowd. The slight chill became unbearable and the crowded corridor was suddenly empty. Silent whispers of reality replacing my fact-less fantasies. I was such an idiot to be so optimistic. To think that his voice, full of laughter, would agree to date me. Who knows how long I would've stood there, staring at the tile floor, if a tanned hand hadn't rested on my shoulder, bringing me back to reality. My friend stood fidgeting before me, his brown hair in a messy mop on top his head. His emerald eyes shined with sympathy at my own tear filled orbs, bringing more comfort then I think he realised.
A ghost of a smile pulled at my lips, as I curled into the fluffy warmth of my blankets. The rain always appeared to wash away all my senses of reality. Transporting me to years gone by or futures yet to come. "Honey, would you like some hot chocolate?" a deep voice called from the small kitchen of our apartment, bringing me back to the present.
I was such a fool.
His emerald eyes gazing expectantly, as he poked his head into the room I resided in, holding two steaming cups of hot cocoa.
I never realised he was right in front of me.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!