Il Capo

Excellence Award in the 'Spread The Word 2017' competition

A true Story.
Do you know that feeling when you feel sad in your heart? Like there’s a hole? Well I had that feeling when I was in Rome, a city of ancient monuments and buildings. On the way back from the Colosseum, we met a homeless man. He had a kind smile. He wore a sign around his neck that said ‘Fame - Senza Casa’. It means ‘hungry and homeless’. I felt very sad and thought what would I feel if I were him. We gave him a Euro and then after we ate dinner we stopped by and gave him two bananas. He was very grateful. He said I was, ‘Il Capo’ which means ‘the boss’ and I felt happy.
The next day, we walked past him again. He was asleep. I think he had a very hard night. I felt sorry again and couldn’t stop thinking about him all day. At the end of the day we went to the supermarket and bought him some fruit and some ‘crostini’. We tried to find him again but when we finally got there all we found was the box he sat on. I was worried that I would never see him again. Just as we were about to leave, we saw him through the crowd. I felt like a dying flower had just bloomed inside me. I rushed to him and gave him the bag of food. He was the happiest and most grateful man alive.
After dinner, I had to see him one more time so my Dad and I ran through the crowds. It was heartbreaking to say goodbye.
I still think about my friend in Rome, who I now call ‘Il Capo’ because he is the boss for being so brave.
I hope you can think of him right now.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!