Soccer Shoes

Gove High School was in a poor area without much money for sport equipment. They always had trouble finding coaches. Last year the soccer team couldn’t find anyone to coach it. This year there was a new Year 9 teacher. He had played soccer in high school and agreed to coach the team. He asked the children to come after school the next day. He said that he would coach them if they promised to work their hardest. He told them that they would have soccer practice every day after school for an hour except on game day. A lot of the kids didn’t have soccer shoes but he told them that was okay as long as they tried hard.

Twenty-five kids showed up. By the end of the week there were only twelve kids left. Now they only had one sub for games. They made sure to show up on time every day or they would have to run an extra lap of the field. The first game was against York High School. They lost 1-0. They were disappointed but even more determined to win. They decided to practice 2 hours every day. They spent most of the day when they weren’t in class juggling or passing soccer balls. The next game they won 2-0. At the end of the season they made it into the grand final against Fitzroy High School.

Fitzroy had money and the students were from rich families. They won most of the school sport competitions because they had the best equipment and coaches. Their soccer team had been undefeated for nine years.

The Grand Final took place at Fitzroy. The school was really big and had beautiful soccer fields. The Gove team was excited but nervous. They had never seen such a school. Their uniform was just a white t-shirt and some had no soccer shoes. Fitzroy had fancy shorts and shirts with names on them. They all had new soccer shoes. Fitzroy scored a goal in the first 5 minutes. The Gove team was so nervous they couldn’t focus but as the game went on they forgot they were playing Fitzroy. Just before half time Gove scored a goal. Gove was excited but knew there was another half to play.

Beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep!! The second half started. Fitzroy kicked off. Tom from Gove intercepted the pass. A Fitzroy player tripped him. He got a penalty kick. He missed and the Fitzroy team cheered. He was really disappointed but the rest of his team told him it didn’t matter. They still had time to score a goal. It made Tom feel good that his team didn’t get upset and he was even more determined to play well. Both teams played very well and it was still tied 1-1 at the end. In overtime Tom passed to Kai. Kai did a banana kick into the goal. A golden goal! Gove won! They beat Fitzroy! And some of them didn’t have soccer shoes!

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!