The Letter

After 8 months at sea, I saw the land where I’d live for 7 years. I was a convict on the ship, Alexander, 10 years old, all I had done was steal a loaf of bread. I climbed off the boat in blowing rain with Jess, my new friend. She was a convict, two years older than me. We were put to work making the Captain’s hut.
Two weeks later Jess got weaker. One night brown spots and bruises appeared all over her. I did both our jobs next morning. That night she talked about her mother sharing wonderful stories with her. It was comforting to hear in a place like this, I knew we would always be friends. After a sleep filled with dreams about Jess’s stories, I woke to Jess coughing badly. I needed to get her to the hospital tent up the hill. When we got there, they told me there was no cure and to take her outside so she didn’t infect others. I laid Jess on the ground, her head in my lap. She asked softly, “Can you get this letter to my family?” I told her I would, even if it took my whole life. She died that day with her head on my lap. Jess’s body was taken to where many people were buried together. I walked away, crying.
I worked my heart out, Jess’s letter and stories kept me going. Many died. For six years the crops grew and failed, we thought we’d die of starvation. We desperately wanted to go home. Finally the ships arrived. Everyone cheered, “The ships, finally.” But instead of eleven ships, there were only five. Our Captain asked where the other ships were. The Captain in charge answered, “Only Captains and soldiers return home.” The convicts cried, “How can you not take us home? We’ve served our time.” The Captain replied, “The King has given orders.” One of the convicts pulled back his fist punching the Captain in the face. A brawl erupted. I crawled under the fighting men and hid. The crew on the ships fired their guns to break up the fight. The crew tied up the convicts, boarded the ships and never looked back. I watched them leave then raced to free the men.
We worked together making a town to survive. Some were happy, others dreamed of going home. Finally some brave men and I built a small but strong ship that could sail around the bay. We gathered supplies, said goodbye and started our journey home. In my top pocket was Jesse’s letter. After months at sea believing we’d get home, a massive storm rolled in, it was terrifying. It destroyed the ship leaving us in the cold dark sea. After days of floating thinking of Jess and her stories, I could hold on no longer. I took my last breath and fell deep into the sea. Jess’s letter went with me. None of us made it home.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!