She Chose Me For A Reason

Excellence Award in the 'Spread The Word 2017' competition

Twang! I hear the snap of a bowstring and the whizz of an arrow as it shoots past my ear. I don’t understand why they’re shooting at me! Alright, I may have spied on the government meeting, but all I said was, "Why are you bozos waffling on about wars and taking over countries, when you could just be nice to everyone for a change?" And now, the wonderful so called ‘Government Forces’ are shooting at me. They just had to chase me into a forest. Thankfully, I have an awesome sense of direction.
Twang, zing, again! This is just getting out of hand. Twang, twang, twang… thump. I gasp and slump down against the nearest tree, breathing hard. Then suddenly, the pain is gone, and I’m floating outside my body, staring down at the dying girl, curled up in a little ball. I turn around, and if I had skin to jump out of, I would. A huge beast with leathery wings and teeth like sabres is regarding me curiously with large amber eyes.
"You’re dying." It remarks flatly.
"Oh no, really? I hadn’t noticed!" I say sarcastically.
It snorts, perhaps in amusement. It has a strange voice, all scratchy and growlish, sort of like a clay pot scraping on cement.
"Er, excuse me, but WHAT THE ACTUAL HECK ARE YOU?" I almost scream.
It sighs and says, "You, at least, should know. I’m a Dragon."
I wonder silently to myself what that means. I mean, everyone in my town has a name that describes them; like my name, Lazurè, is the name of the stone I dig for in the Draco mines.
"Soooo…, why are you here?" I ask, marvelling at the, what did it call itself, a Drargon? Anyway, the Drargon's size. It grins at me in a REALLY TERRIFYING way, like it might EAT ME!!
Then it says, "Well, frankly, I’m quite bored of drifting around this boring forest, startling the odd boring bird or two, waiting for a… how shall I put this, useful dead body to inhabit, and yours seems convenient, so could I just… use it?"
I scowl angrily and say, "But I’m not dead yet, and no, you can’t have my body!"
It stares back at me for a moment, then suddenly makes a move for my body. I yell, rush after it and dive towards life, I hope. Who knows what will happen now?

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!