The Necklace

One morning, Charlie woke up to the sound of her alarm. She stopped it and picked up her dog Lily. Charlie put on her emoji slippers and walked down the hallway to the kitchen, where her mum was making breakfast for Charlie and her dad.
When Charlie sat down at the table, she saw a piece of toast, a mashed egg and a glass of milk in front of her. "Good morning honey," said mum. "Morning mum," replied Charlie happily. "How did you sleep?" questioned dad. "Good, but no dreams," answered Charlie. Dad nodded and smiled while his eyes were glued to the newspaper.
After dad had left, Charlie began to walk up the hallway but her mum stopped her. "Honey, wait! I need to give you something." "Ok," agreed Charlie. "Here. My mum gave this necklace to me when I was little, so I decided to give it to you." Charlie's mum put it around her neck. "Thank you, it ... it's so pretty." The necklace was a crisp silver colour, with a heart pendant on it. Afterwards Charlie got dressed, brushed her teeth, did her hair and packed her school bag. "Bye mum." Charlie gave her mum a big hug. "Bye hon, have a good day." Then off Charlie went to school.
The next day, after school, Charlie's best friend Casey came over for a play. They played on the trampoline, went on the iPad, made a cake and rode on their bikes. But just before Charlie went on the bikes she took off her necklace so she wouldn't wreck it! She put it on her bedside table. Casey and Charlie had a race and tried doing a wheelie. After Casey and Charlie had fun playing, they came inside.
When Charlie went to put her necklace back on... IT WASN'T THERE!! They both ran up to her mum and told her. They spent the next 20 minutes looking for the necklace. For the next couple of days Charlie wasn't herself. She was gloomy, sort of like dark clouds were racing over her head. She wasn't the happy Charlie everybody knew.
Charlie was on her iPad but then she heard her mum call, "Charlie, do you want to come help me garden? Charlie... CHARLIE, are you listening?" "Ok ... um ... I’ll help." So off Charlie went to go and help her mum.
"Thank you for helping," said mum. “All good," she answered. As Charlie was putting a plant into the soft dirt she saw something glimmering in the sun. Wait...WHAT!! Charlie grabbed the object.
"AHHHH!!!!" screamed Charlie. "Look! Look! Mum, look, I found my necklace!" "YAY!" cried mum. "I'm never taking it off again," sighed Charlie. Charlie and her mum hugged. Charlie ran up to the house frantically! "Dad, look, I found my necklace!" "Wow!" he exclaimed.
Charlie saw that one of Lily's teeth was a shiny colour. "Oh Lily, it must have been you!" Charlie thought to herself. Charlie was happy now and so was all of her family!

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!