The Noise In The Kitchen

Excellence Award in the 'Spread The Word 2017' competition

"Boom Crash!" I hear a noise in the kitchen. I am upstairs doing my homework. It can't be mum because she shouldn't be home yet, its only 4:15pm and she finishes at 5. "Bang!" There it goes again. My brother Pete got a detention, so he is still at school. My dad died when I was 3. It can't be him. Mum said I cried for weeks after he went. I started creeping down the stairs when I hear a
"Boom! Crash! Bang!" I jump with fear not knowing what to do. I grab my phone from my pocket and call mum. "Please mum pick up, pick up!" I am saying to myself. But she doesn't answer.
It is now 5:30pm and mum should be home by now, so should Pete. "Bleep Bleep," I see a message on my phone saying "Sorry Mel, Pete and I are just picking up some groceries, and then we will come straight home."
"NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!" I say to myself. I keep creeping down the stairs and I haven't heard another strange noise in a long time.
It is now 6pm; Mum and Pete are still not home. I am ·really scared now and I don't know what to do. I wipe the tears off my face and say to myself "Be Brave Mel, Be Brave!" I creep down the stairs a little further and "Crash!" there it goes again. I sit on the bottom step of the stair case looking at the front door waiting for Mum and Pete to get home. Tears are pouring down my face now! I really wish Dad was here. I sit there all alone staring at the front door, waiting ... and waiting.
It is now 6:45pm and they are still not home! Where could they be? I try to ring mum one more time and she doesn't answer.
"Beep, Beep, Beep, Beep, Beep, Beep ... " I wake up and I have a wet face from when I was crying. "Ahhhhh it was all just a dream," I say to myself in such a relief. All of a sudden "Bang! "I hear it again ... but this time it's from the bathroom and I am awake.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!