Locket Of Fate

The night air howled at her. She felt the wind pulling at her dress causing her to sway side to side. The bitter cold reflected her feelings - that empty hole inside her that would not leave her alone. As she wandered through the streets the same question repeated in her head..... Am I really doing this? All of a sudden it dawned on her They’re not going to take me back in, once they find out. All of a sudden she knew this is what she had to do! The speed of her walking increased as she became more and more determined. The emptiness inside her suddenly turned into fierce persistence and she had the clarity she needed to keep going. She walked into the store, the bell ringing as she stepped into the overwhelming heat, reminding her of when she was a young child. The heat passing over her body, filling her with the strength to keep going on the cold Winters days before the accident, before she became an orphan.
'I'm here to collect jewellery left in the name of Sarah Taverner please,' she said politely in her street accent. 'Um .... He continued as he frantically searched the filing cabinet under the well-used desk. 'Sorry Miss Taverner your name isn't in our records book,' the secretary said somewhat disappointed.
'Ok. Thank you for your help,' she replied distress coming onto her. As she was about to pull open the door, she realised that it would have been her lost mother that left this in her will for her .... not in her father's name. She turned around and began to speak:
'Sorry to bother you but do you mind checking for a Kelly Miller?'
'Oh. Ok,' he said grudgingly, as he bent down under the worn-out desk. 'Well there is a Jo Kelly and a ... oh here it is Kelly Miller.'
She rummaged in her bag w1til she found her faded, worn out purse, pulling out the precious ticket that contained her future. She hesitantly handed it over, the secretary taking it, going to the back room and coming out with a small parcel with a label reading: in the will of Kelly miller, left to her daughter, Sally Taverner. Handing it over to her.
'Thank you,' she briefly said as she delicately unwrapped the irreplaceable item inside. One by one she peeled the pieces of sticky tape off the paper slowly revealing a delicately crafted silver locket. Being extremely careful, she opened the locket, a photo and a piece of paper gracefully falling onto the floor. Automatically she bent down to pick them up. Sarah saw a spitting image of herself, as she felt her own face, as a woman, holding a baby and a man with the same eyes as hers. Her parents were staring through space and time at her their faces creased with lines of grief. The piece of paper read: Under the bridge, in Park's Lane!
She left the store trying to work out what phrase meant; under the bridge, in Park's Lane! Park's Lane was a park in the town, not very far from where she was, that Sarah knew how to get to. That's what I'm going to do! She thought.
There she was.... Standing under the bridge holding the locket in her hand!

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!