The Initial Landing

I waited slowly in the boat. There were only 20 of us in the platoon. I was lucky. Our platoon, the 3rd platoon was the first to land at Gallipoli. I looked at 1st Lieutenant William Mutin. He was very young. We all were. George looked at me.
"Matthew, do you think the farm will still be run down when we arrive."
"No, It will thrive, Remember we're making 6 shillings a day. Don't Worry mate, We will be rich when this war is over" I reassured him.
Then I heard the sound that creeped all of us. Gunfire! "Crack" "Crack" I looked up and heard traces of bullets whiz past me. William started screaming out orders.
"When we land cobbers, attack the Turks and then hold the hills." Then we started hearing explosions.
"Bombs" I said confused
"No, Artillery" William corrected.
The boat landed and I heard an orchestra of screams and cheers as thousands of us rushed up the hill. I had to use my hands and feet to hold onto the hill as we climbed. I looked next to me. There was George. He fell down and lied on the ground. His chest was full of blood and his head turned to face the ground. I stopped and looked down. I couldn't believe it. I charged just over the hill and saw a trench full of turk soldiers. They were screaming in a language I could not understand and in response I pulled my gun up. I was one of the first in the trench and a Turk ran up to me. I quickly fired and he fell onto the floor. I began trying to reload as if my life depended on it. The truth was my life did depend on it. Another Turk rushed up to me and fired but his weapon malfunctioned. I charged at him with my rifle and my bayonet went straight into his body. The Silver colouring on the bayonet turned red and I pulled it out. I started heavily breathing. I have never killed anyone before. Who kills people at 19? I then looked above the trench and saw a large group of Turks. I reloaded my rifle and ducked then I heard a loud sound which landed faster than I could see in the trench. It was a Artillery shell. It then exploded and I ducked my head backwards within a instance. I immediately started hearing a constant ringing sound. I dropped to the floor as if I was a powerless animal. My head was throbbing like I had been jumping for a hour. I slowly looked down to my legs and they were missing. Instead blood had replaced them and it was dark red like the colour of red wine. I lowered my head back on the ground. Then it all went dark and I stopped hearing the ringing.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!