The Red Box

Excellence Award in the 'Spread The Word 2017' competition

Once there lived a girl called Nikki. Every day she went to her backyard and buried something. She usually buried things that she gathered on the way back from school like stones, feathers and spare change from her lunch money. By her 12th birthday she had buried most of her treasure.
Her mother was so curious about why she buried them, she gave Nikki a red box decorated with red roses. "My dear Nikki, the time has come for you to have this box. Your grandma Rosie wished for you to have it, therefore I will give it to you" smiled her mum softly. She kissed Nikki gently on the cheek.
"Are you sure mother? I mean, Grandma Rosie would love for me to have it but don't you want it?" Asked Nikki. She opened up the box to see a very crumpled letter in it. Nikki opened it up and read it:
To my dear Nikki Roberts,
I know you must be wondering why I would give the red box to you. I received this box from my farther during the war. Now I would love for you to have it.
When you were a little baby you loved to bury my things.
Now with this box I hope you can put your precious memories in it. Lots of hugs and kisses,
Your grandma Rosie. Xx
Nikki couldn't believe it.
"Wow thanks mum," she smiled.
"You're welcome, I hope you put in as many things that remind you of the good times," her mother said.
Six years later...
Nikki always carried the box with her. On her 18th birthday Nikki decided to travel to Vietnam because she had never been there before. But as she arrived, Russia declared war against Vietnam. Soldiers roamed the streets. Bombs were launched everywhere.
Nikki felt stuck, very stuck as there was no way to get out of the country. She walked up to a big oak tree on the hill and started to dig a big hole beside the tree. She placed the red box in the hole. Tears stung her eyes. She hoped that one day someone would find
it and place their treasure in the red box. She covered up the hole and left.
Eight years later...
A little girl with a plait came skipping along. She spotted a red box sticking out from the dirt. "Look mummy, a red box. Can I keep it?" She grinned looking up at her mum, Nikki.
"Mmmm, I don't see why not. Come on, I want to show you what to do with the box when we get back home" Nikki smiled. She picked up the picnic blanket and walked home holding hands with her daughter.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!