The Heart Of A Leopard

Cries of animals filled the forest. My paws padded on the ground, jumping over everything that was in my way. Frightendly, I dared to turn my head to look behind me only to come face to face with an arrow! Sharply I turned the corner and waited silently for the psychopathic hunter to run past me. He passed the old oak tree I hid behind. I crouched down low, always looking at the point of the arrow in his dirt­covered hands. The man in the brown coat growled lowly and walked further away. As fast as I could I dashed to the site where I last saw my pack. My silver fur rustled in the wind as I looked at the countless bodies of my pack and other animals. Anger filled me from head to tail. I, Silvia the Snow Leopard vow to avenge their deaths!
Alone, I travelled to the mountain known as Cargriara Mountain. The harsh icy wind was bickering. Soon, I noticed some paw prints in the snow. I squinted at them and gasped. The paw prints only had three prints each movement.
"They must have lost a leg" I frowned to myself and without hesitation; I bolted to where the paw prints led. Eventually I came to a stop. In the distance was a lump of black fur, slightly burned. Instantly I padded over to them. They moved slightly and got up. She opened her lids to reveal two beautiful emerald eyes, they widened.
"W-who are you?" she demanded standing into a battle stance.
"I'm Silvia, and you are ...” I prompted her. The Panther stood normally and spoke.
"I'm Luna, I lost my leg in a fire however a lady named Sakura helped me." I nodded and she asked
"May I please tag along with you?"
"With pleasure" I smiled.
We walked along the frosty mountain when I heard a gunshot. My crystal blue eyes darted in the direction of Luna only to see her on the ground with a bullet in her side. I shrieked in shock, snarled and let out a defining roar. Bolting over to where the hunter was standing I grabbed the gun in my mouth and threw it across the snow. Slowly I circled him ready to pounce, when I heard another voice.
"Oh you poor, poor thing!" Immediately I snapped back into reality and ran to Luna. I realized that it was that Sakura girl. My gaze softened and I lay down next to her and licked her cheek. She giggled and wrapped the bandage around Luna's belly. She stroked our fur and stood up.
"HEY, YOU ARE UNDER ARRESTFOR ILLEGAL HUNTING!!!" she boomed. The hunter stumbled back and fell to the ground. Luna's eyes slowly opened. Happiness filled me for the first time, in a long time. I hugged her tightly.
"That's one brave Leopard" Sakura said giggling slightly.
"Thank you, Silvia" Luna whispered.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!